Trench Diggers

nikferg
A year ago, my family moved from the city to a more provincial town a few miles north. Our new street was full of pricey homes with extravagant landscaping. The neighborhood lived up to the name Oak Tree, and was full of mature trees.

Coming from a less "gardened" section of Oklahoma City, my husband and I were uncertain how to pep up our new yard. Following suggestions, we called a landscaper.
The man presented a complicated set of drawings. His eyes shone bright and I could've sworn he greedily rubbed his palms together in anticipation of receiving a big fat paycheck.
"Thirteen thousand dollars is a small price to pay for such beauty," our potential landscaper claimed.

After laughing in the man's face and shooing him out the door, my husband and I decided to do the work ourselves.
Our own plans, not quite as extravagant as the landscaper's, who'd wanted to rip out a perfectly fine front porch and replace it with flagstone, were much simpler. We would lay landscape stone in a kidney shape around a clump of trees in our front yard. Then, we planned to place an extensive collection of lights around the new plants we would choose.

We marked off the space and waited for the ton of stone to be delivered. To make the plot look more respectable and seem natural to the environment, the six inch stones would be partially buried and then stacked to even out the decline in our yard.
Sounded labor intensive, but the effect would be lovely and our neighbors would certainly appreciate the effort. We began to dig the large trench, neglecting to realize that digging a trench around trees would be troublesome. Trees tended to have roots. Roots were not soft like dirt.

By the end of the first hour, my hands were leaking with popped blisters and my back felt as though I had carried a ton of rocks. Oh, right. I had carried a ton of rocks.
By the end of the second hour, I wanted to call the landscaper and beg for his help. The only thing stopping me was his projected invoice. I've been called cheap by some, but a sore back and a few blisters seemed a small price to pay for keeping my money in my wallet.

On the first day of digging, our neighbors would pass by and chuckle, shaking their heads in wonderment. Why not hire someone to dig a trench? By the second day, however, they seemed to gaze upon us with more respect. By the end, they'd shouted out encouragement.

We kept our heads down and dug…and dug…and dug. After five days, with a one day break for golf, the trench had been dug.

When we look upon that plot of landscaping, my husband and I will forever know that we did the work- together. We designed the shape. We dug the trench. That feeling was worth every blister I earned.

Congratulations! I think I would have opted for flowers. Just a few.
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:57:26 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources