Optimizing the Resale Value of Your Home

sarika_periwal
So you plan to relocate to a new place - you're either moving out of the neighborhood because the family needs a bigger home, or you're moving to a different city for professional reasons. There could be a million reasons why the house that you own and currently live in, could be put on the market for resale. One of the things that you're likely to be looking at is Chicago moving companies to help you with your packing and relocation. However if you're to get the best possible price for your home here are some factors to keep in mind:

Buying a home with good resale value

Maybe this doesn’t help you now since you're looking to sell, but keep this in mind when you purchase your next home: one of the main factors that determine the resale value of a house is the location of the house. A desirable location will always fetch a better price and will appeal to a larger pool of buyers. A safe neighborhood and good neighbors can add to the value of a home.

A cleverly designed home that is compact and yet makes optimal use of space is always going to be a plus. A home with plenty of natural light, big windows, with an adequately large yard or garden can also be very attractive to a buyer.

The number of bathrooms, particularly en suite bathrooms can help to up the value of a house because this impacts practical aspects and overall quality of day to day living. The bathroom’s appointments also matter. The styling, the tiling, the mod cons that it is equipped with… For many, the bathrooms could be a deal breaker.

One storey or two? In general a single level house is more desirable. For instance elders or people with disabilities who will encounter problems with stairs may be put off by a multi level home.

Built in storage is another factor that a house should ideally have. While your own furniture is likely going along with you as you relocate, the home that is left behind can be much enhanced by in-built storage. Plenty of kitchen storage cabinets, wardrobes, preferably walk-in ones and perhaps an attic or loft space could be very handy.

Renovations that could help to increase the resale value

Just giving your porch a new lick of paint and mowing your lawn won’t help much. Renovating a home can actually fetch you a better price. Paying the money for renovation now can mean that you not only make up that amount when you sell, but also perhaps make something of a profit. A well looked after and well maintained home can pay rich dividends when it comes to resale.

Check the bath: a cracked pot, a leaking faucet or a flush that doesn’t work very well could be very off putting. It can be quite simple and cost effective to make a few changes to make the bathroom look spruced up.

Energy efficient additions to the home can also help to up its resale value. If you have lots of natural light in the home, energy efficient heating and cooling systems and perhaps some solar panels installed to assist the power drawn from the grid could help you get a better price for your home. Because living in the home may actually be cheaper for the new occupant, the upfront price you're able to demand could get higher.

Even reorganizing the home and reducing clutter could help your home look more attractive and boost its resale value. Simple home improvements such as good lighting and classy decor elements can also help.

About the Author:

Sarika Periwal writes articles that help to lead better lives. She suggests contacting Golans Moving for any kind of packing and relocation needs in and around Chicago for a painless experience.

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources