Searching for home

thiegsr
I have something to admit.

I am addicted to watching HGTV shows like House Hunters, My First Place, Property Brothers, and Love It or List It. I’m a junkie, and I could spend hours watching people decide their house futures. I love to see renovations in an hour. I love to see people weigh pros and cons of a potential home. I often find myself yelling at the television, “Go for the cute bungalow on the tree lined street” or “How could you choose that boring, beige, cookie cutter shoebox just because it has granite counters?”

Last year after my husband cancelled our cable and bought a Roku to save us hundreds of dollars in cable bills each month, I mourned the loss of HGTV. I wanted to see House Hunters International when Americans tried to fit their 3000 square foot home stuff into a tiny European apartment. I wanted to see them gasp at the size of refrigerators in Sweden. I wanted to hear the wives complain about the lack of stainless steel appliances, and the husbands search for the perfect man cave in their potential homes.

I went HGTV cold turkey, and I survived, but I still miss my Saturday morning home renovation shows that I watched while I folded a week’s worth of family laundry.
Even though I can’t escape into the real estate decisions of the people on HGTV, I now am in my own real life HGTV drama. In June, my husband accepted a job based in a Chicago suburb. He works remotely, and travels at least one week out of every month. In the beginning of summer we started to have the “should we move” talk. Although his company isn’t completely pressuring him, we both know that it would be so much easier for him to connect to his team and his job if we lived in Illinois. And . . . Chicago is awesome. And . . . the suburb we would move to is really awesome.

Because we live in an old home in a not so hot spot in our town, we know we have our work cut out for us. We LOVE our brick Colonial home with its 9 foot ceilings, sunny porches, and claw foot tub, but we don’t love the lack of closet space or the state of our remuddled kitchen. The previous owners did a hack job on the kitchen - going as far as gluing bathroom tile on the countertops and backsplash - who does that? In order to even get our space ready to list, we have work to do. But the big question for us, is do we love it or list it? We have family in this area, and we have already renovated our bathroom, attic, basement, floors, windows, yard, and so much more. The sweat, love, and even blood (one of our contractors cut off his finger while working on our basement), we put into our home not to mention the memories of our girls growing up here - playing in the yard, running through the rooms, playing hide and seek, dressing up and putting on “shows” in the basement, and family dinners in our kitchen - make it hard to want to move even with the allure of a new adventure and an awesome (and thriving) downtown area in a new location.

The idea of listing and the tasks just to get our home ready to put on the market seem daunting. How do you know when it is worth it to move? I now see why the people on some of the HGTV shows can be so annoying or indecisive. Buying, selling or renovating a house requires just as much emotional work as it does physical work. We are all ultimately looking for a place to call home where our lives will unfold in sunny afternoons and frosty mornings, where our children can be proud to bring their friends, where our families can gather for birthdays and holidays, and where we can enjoy the unending twists and paths of life.

Maybe what I need to admit, is that I am addicted to discovering what home means to me and ultimately, wherever my husband and two little girls are equals home regardless of granite countertops, awesome downtown areas, or tree lined streets. Wherever we end up, as long as we are together, we will be home.

Happy House...er...Home Hunting!
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:17:50 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources