Get the Best Resale Value for Your Property

sarikaperiwal
Today’s financial climate being what it is, many home owners are forced into distress selling or constrained to accept a price that is not commensurate with the real value of their property. In many ways, today is a buyer’s market. But it doesn’t have to be so. Here are some tips that will help you get the best possible price for your property:

Understand what your property is really worth

You may have a number in mind – but is that number realistic? What you have in mind and what you can realistically expect your property to fetch may be two completely different figures. The price of your property may not necessarily be lower than what you expect; your property could well fetch a higher than expected price. A certified professional appraiser will help you keep your expectations realistic.

Call in the experts

Trying to find a buyer on your own is one option, but it may not be the best option. Nor do you have to hire the first agent you come across. You can shop around for real estate agents. Speak to several agents. If they sound too optimistic you may want to think twice. You want someone who gives you a realistic idea about the market, someone who is knowledgeable and experienced. They should be able to give you an accurate and realistic estimate as to the time it will take to actually sell your property.

Understand appreciation /depreciation of property in your area

Local property markets do tend to fluctuate, with prices going up or down. This may depend upon several factors. Understand these and do your local research to know whether prices in your area are currently rising or falling. If prices in your area are falling you can consent to your property’s asking price being a little lower – this would be a realistic price that would also find favor with a buyer.

Value additions to the property

There are several things that will add to the value of your property – good quality woodwork you may have installed, a swimming pool, good quality kitchen appliances and so on. If you have solar panels installed, or if you have any other type of power generator installed, these will also add considerably to the value of your property. You can also further sweeten the deal by letting the purchaser buy your property along with the furniture and fixtures in it at a discount. This can make a lot of sense if you're planning to relocate to another place and mean to set up house anew.

Visual appeal

Quite simply your house may fetch a better price if it looks better than that of your neighbor. So ensure that your garden or yard is well tended, that the exterior of the house has recently seen a fresh lick of paint, that the roof is in good shape and so on. A dilapidated looking house is less appealing and that much less likely to fetch a good price. Basically, you want your property to be presented as a move-in-worthy property that looks good and has the air of being comfortable to live in.

Author biography:

Sarika Periwal writes home improvement, decor and design articles. She also consults on real estate acquisitions. Check out avenuerealtygroup.com. They can help you find your dream home in Virginia.

Good points, though having recently sold a home (in NOVA), I thought you might put more emphasis on getting a comparative market analysis from different Realtors as well as their suggested fixes. Also, I thought it was becoming a seller's market in some regions, at least before the mortgage rates started up. In any event, thank you for writing.
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:53:41 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources