Tips to Making Your Marriage Happy

RevDrAngela
How to mak your Marriage Thrive!

Let’s face it – marriage can be hard! But it doesn’t have to stay that way. There are simple things you can do every day to make a difference. Happy couples know that doing these 3 small things can make a world of difference. Couples in trouble, usually find themselves unsure of where to go or what to do, to make their marriage really thrive. During a typical couples counseling session, you learn new ways to communicate, how to repair lost trust, and how to love each other again properly. But, it’s also helpful to learn those day-to-day things you can do to keep your relationship in a healthy state.
Here’s what the happiest couples are doing:

Listening

Listening to each other is a key component of communication. Usually when someone is speaking, you are just waiting for them to pause long enough, for you to jump in with your thoughts and views. But when you are truly listening to your spouse, you must stop your own thought process – stop thinking of what you are going to say next – and really listen. One way to show you are listening is to repeat back what you hear your spouse saying.

Mindfulness

Thinking about what would make the other happy or sad, keeps you ever mindful of your spouse. Though you and your spouse may have been together for a long time, that doesn’t mean that you like the same things or dislike the same things. So, when you ask your spouse for their input, take note of the answer and commit that to memory.

Date your spouse

Your marriage will not continue to thrive, if you believe that you no longer need to date your spouse. A date can consist of those things that the two of you like to do that bring you happiness. The key to the date – you must do it alone. It’s not a date if your children, other family members or friends are there (even when it’s labeled a “double date”). Go to the beach or for a walk with your spouse and enjoy each other again.

So remember, your marriage can thrive, it will thrive, if you take a moment to nurture and polish it. So put pencil to pad, and make a list of things you can do with your spouse to get and keep your marriage on the right track
Comment by Suzanne

Excellent advice. Of the things you listed, I think listening is probably the most important. Nothing says I value and respect both you and your opinion more than really listening to your partner. Thanks for sharing
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:57:03 PM

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.