Animals: Squeaky Baby Squirrels

michness
My husband, Justin, and I have been animal lovers all our lives. I grew up around cats and fish, and he raised a few animals short of a domestic zoo: dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, and chinchillas rounded out his family. Together, as a couple, we’ve own two cats, a 14 year old orange tabby from my childhood named Peeps and a 2 year old long haired tortoiseshell ball of energy named Olivia.

One of our most memorable animal moments, though, doesn’t involve our pets.

Our evening started out ordinary enough. We were headed out for a walk in the beautiful spring weather when a huge gust of wind shook the line of trees at the edge of the road outside our apartment, and down came a squirrel in a clump of leaves. It looked like the squirrel was hurt, so Justin and I rushed over to see if she was moving. Unfortunately, we must have spooked her; despite her bleeding snout and hurt paw, she ran up the nearest tree. We were about to walk away when we heard it: four squirrel babies squeaking.

Thankfully, all four babies, who still had their eyes closed, survived the impact of the fall into the street thanks to their nest. We quickly moved the nest and the babies to the tree that their mama ran up. We covered them with leaves to keep them hidden from predators and then went on with our day.

Even though we had done the best we could, I couldn’t stop thinking about the baby squirrels! I read online that if, by nightfall, the mama hadn’t come back for the babies, to bring them inside until we could get in touch with a wildlife rehabilitation center. Around 9pm, we brought the babies and their nest inside in a spare shoebox we had.

Since we do have two very curious cats, we put the squirrels in our second bathroom behind closed doors. At first, they were very quiet. But as we got ready for bed, one squeaky little troublemaker would not stop crying.

They were so cute. But also SO LOUD. Every few minutes, the baby would start squeaking until we came to hold him. Sometimes that didn’t even help (which was stressful, considering we have neighbors on all sides). From 2-5am, we were up every few minutes trying to get the squirrels to quiet down. I have to say, I have never been so thankful to see 6am and get ready for work.

Around 8am, Justin called a wildlife rehabilitation center down the road from where we live and dropped off the squirrels. This lady was awesome—she already had 10 other babies, so they will have plenty of friends!

She gave us a tracking number to check in our brief pets, and we plan on calling in a few weeks. In the meantime, though, I can still hear their squeaky cries in my head.

Thanks to http://www.allcreaturesgreatandsmallwildlifecenter.org/ for taking the baby squirrels!

A picture of the babies:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10557360_10153729800553222_7674701055153618127_n.jpg?oh=da0899c8d2aed87260bbc7c579689b8c&oe=55A335B6&__gda__=1437335251_9fc3fa501d4bf25489066f27bcb5c7e2

Interesting. I've always been surrounded by squirrels, but I've never dealt with abandoned babies.
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:49:56 PM

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.