STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Love of A Pet

PK
We adopted Bailey in the Summer of 2010 from the local shelter. Passing by cages and cages of beautiful dogs, all who looked like they needed a good home, it was Bailey who instantly sprang to lick my hand when I reached up to read her BIO. Bailey was a neglected and stray Pit Bull mix that had recently given birth. Her teats were dominant, the end of her tail and ears were feathered from being succumbed by fleas, and her figure was daunting to say the least. She was on the urgent list; she had been at the shelter for weeks and was continuously being looked over because of her appearance and breed. But when I locked eyes with her, I immediately knew she was the one.

A huge party was commenced the day she came home. She sauntered right in and fit in the family and took a great liking to her overstuffed bed that she would lay on once she got tired of being mischievous. She was overwhelmed with all the great treats that were given to her by her new family and chunked up within months of being in her home.

Bailey was a great protector, gave the best cuddles, and was an amazing companion. She broke all the barriers that we had in regards of the American Stafford Terrishire breed by proving that not only was she a great dog to have, but that she could be trusted by all who visited our home. This was very important to us as we have a very large family.

We ended up adopting another dog a year later, Axel, and instantly both of them became the best of friends. Her jealous boyfriend Kane, who was Axel’s brother, would often get upset, but all 3 of our family dogs got together beautifully.

A few years later, both Bailey and Axel managed to escape our home in what I would like to call a 10-day vacation, and our family was heartbroken. It was then that I truly realized what type of hold an animal can have to your heart. It was worse than losing a family member, because I was their voice, I was their savior. For ten days, we lived in agony not knowing if our dogs would ever make it back home. On the 10th day, Bailey and Axel were both reunited. Within an hour of each other, on opposite sides of Sacramento. I found Bailey, My husband found Axel in what I could only call a miracle. It was the most victorious day in our life and I vowed never to let these two rascals out of my sight.

It was Bailey’s second homecoming party, and we once again had a large gathering commencing the fact that these dogs never gave up. They knew they had to come home and fought being on the streets to stay alive.

On October 2012, Bailey felt ill. She could not move her head and lost a lot of strength in her body. We took her to the vet where they ran various tests, and we tested her for everything. We figured that dog’s get sick just like us humans and a little medicine would help.

2 days later Bailey took her last breath in our arms. She was only 3 years old.

We took her to a 24 hour vet where they confirmed her death and she was set to be cremated a few days later. I got a phone call from her Vet the very next day who told us that Bailey had Stage 4 Lymphoma cancer. By the look of my dog you would never think she would have any type of illness. She was so young and full of life that Cancer never even crossed our minds. It was then that we realized that Bailey had cancer all along, but she never showed it. I suppose she didn’t want to cause us the grief.

I still have Baileys ashes in a wooden box in our home. I don’t think I am ready to let go just yet. I feel comforted in knowing that we were able to give Bailey the best years in her short life and that alone makes me so proud that we got a chance to make a change in her life.

Rate this:
Comment by michness

I'm sure Bailey appreciated your kindness and love. You will see her again over the Rainbow Bridge! Thanks for sharing your story.
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:04:14 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy