Bridges of Madison County??? whhhhhaaaattt??????

happinessanon
I am a big fan of romantic movies, especially the straight breezy ones. I love watching them. I love the whole happy ending bit. I even read a lot of Mills & Boon. But hold on. I am no starry eyed romantic soul. On the contrary I am extremely practical and prefer a chilled out evening with TH watching “who wants to be a millionaire” and trying to outdo each other than doing the whole romantic conversation bit. So why do I like romantic movies and books? I think its because they are simple , they usually have a happy ending and I don’t have to put too much energy into understanding the plot. It’s easy , breezy and light and I love the simplicity of it all.

I took an off yesterday and based on several recommendations downloaded this movie called the “Bridges of Madison county”. I am sure most of you have heard of it; if not already seen it. One internet site described the movie as “a lonely housewife who has an affair with a national geographic photographer over a course of four days which changes both their lives “I had heard so much about the movie ( even heard a celebrity endorse it on national television) that armed with a tub of popcorn and the remote I sat there all excited . And after 90 mins here is my take on the movie.

One bored housewife Francesca (played to perfection by Meryl Streep ) who is in desperate need of some attention, is happy that her kids and husband are going away for a four day trip which lets her have the entire house to herself . Enter one 52 year old rough and tough guy –national geographic wildlife photographer Robert Kincaid (played by Clint Eastwood) . He asks her for directions and thereon all Francesca does is throw herself at him and fantasize about him. The bored housewife is fascinated by his stories , the fact that he got off at a station because he found it pretty & that he was a wildlife photographer( she calls her husband neat, decent and clean making her boredom all the more evident ). Inspite of Robert backing off a couple of times and deciding against very many things she literally throws herself at him and eventually succeeds in her attempt at seducing him. And thus starts her endeavour to get over her boredom with 4 days of hot and steamy sex. Once the four days are almost up our poor hapless soul Robert who is completely mesmerized by her ( they show him to be this Casanova of sorts but supposedly Francesca captures his heart in 4 days ….( yawn stifled ) ) suggests that they elope. The suggestion comes about after she throws this big fat tantrum asking him to prove how much she means to him and calls him a hypocrite and a liar & a sleep around ( huh!!!! U knew this from the start , now why play victim ????). Finally our poor soul Mr. Robert ends up saying that he really likes her …Francesca s ego is satisfied. She feels good ..ah I am a desirable woman . I am pretty desirable and sexy even at this age …yayyyy

Now comes the moment of truth. When the time to elope comes and the four days are almost up Francesca develops cold feet. She becomes circumspect and realizes that her decision to run away could have serious repercussions on her family and hence doesn’t do so. She also realizes that she has a responsibility towards her family and her husband. So after all the drama, she lets him down and says sorry I cant come with you ..carry on . Now the movie potrays it as some kind of sacrifice . This is where I have an issue. It is no sacrifice. What she wanted was to feel good ,feel desirable, feel pretty and feel like a woman. If anything she seduced him and she literally threw herself at him. And when four days were over she woke up from her dream and realized this is not real life and that it may actually not make sense for her to leave everything and go with Robert . What could she have done going with him? Be a nomad with him? Be jealous and insecure of his past? Feel guilty and start blaming him for not being loved by her children anymore? What she took was a sensible and a very selfish decision not some noble act of sacrifice.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not judging her having an affair at all. Marriage is no bed of roses and over a period of time with family and with kids life starts looking boring and monotonous. A lot of men take their wives for granted and hence there starts this need in the woman to feel desirable and attractive. An extra marital affair sometimes gives you that. The thrill that you feel during your initial days of courtship is bound to fade after a while. Some couples are lucky to find happiness in the daily humdrum of existence once the rush is over and for some it’s a challenge. I am no preach and I think boredom and vulnerability can set in anytime and at any point one of the partners could find themselves doing something they thought they could/would never do .

So at the cost of repeating myself I am not judging the affair potrayed in the movie. I get why Francesca did what she did and as to why she did have an affair. What bothers me in the movie is the nobility accorded to the whole Francesca not leaving bit . I don’t see it as a noble act. I see it as a very sensible decision and a choice. She stood to lose a lot if she left and lets face it .. if you ask me she got the best of both worlds. She got to have an affair and nobody found out EVER! Does it get better than that ;) !!!!!!!!

That’s what I thought of “ bridges….” Tomorrow am all set to watch “ eternal sunshine of the spotless mind “ . The reviews have left me very confused. So I don’t know what to expect . Anyway will keep you all posted :)

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.