STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Bridges of Madison County??? whhhhhaaaattt??????

happinessanon
I am a big fan of romantic movies, especially the straight breezy ones. I love watching them. I love the whole happy ending bit. I even read a lot of Mills & Boon. But hold on. I am no starry eyed romantic soul. On the contrary I am extremely practical and prefer a chilled out evening with TH watching “who wants to be a millionaire” and trying to outdo each other than doing the whole romantic conversation bit. So why do I like romantic movies and books? I think its because they are simple , they usually have a happy ending and I don’t have to put too much energy into understanding the plot. It’s easy , breezy and light and I love the simplicity of it all.

I took an off yesterday and based on several recommendations downloaded this movie called the “Bridges of Madison county”. I am sure most of you have heard of it; if not already seen it. One internet site described the movie as “a lonely housewife who has an affair with a national geographic photographer over a course of four days which changes both their lives “I had heard so much about the movie ( even heard a celebrity endorse it on national television) that armed with a tub of popcorn and the remote I sat there all excited . And after 90 mins here is my take on the movie.

One bored housewife Francesca (played to perfection by Meryl Streep ) who is in desperate need of some attention, is happy that her kids and husband are going away for a four day trip which lets her have the entire house to herself . Enter one 52 year old rough and tough guy –national geographic wildlife photographer Robert Kincaid (played by Clint Eastwood) . He asks her for directions and thereon all Francesca does is throw herself at him and fantasize about him. The bored housewife is fascinated by his stories , the fact that he got off at a station because he found it pretty & that he was a wildlife photographer( she calls her husband neat, decent and clean making her boredom all the more evident ). Inspite of Robert backing off a couple of times and deciding against very many things she literally throws herself at him and eventually succeeds in her attempt at seducing him. And thus starts her endeavour to get over her boredom with 4 days of hot and steamy sex. Once the four days are almost up our poor hapless soul Robert who is completely mesmerized by her ( they show him to be this Casanova of sorts but supposedly Francesca captures his heart in 4 days ….( yawn stifled ) ) suggests that they elope. The suggestion comes about after she throws this big fat tantrum asking him to prove how much she means to him and calls him a hypocrite and a liar & a sleep around ( huh!!!! U knew this from the start , now why play victim ????). Finally our poor soul Mr. Robert ends up saying that he really likes her …Francesca s ego is satisfied. She feels good ..ah I am a desirable woman . I am pretty desirable and sexy even at this age …yayyyy

Now comes the moment of truth. When the time to elope comes and the four days are almost up Francesca develops cold feet. She becomes circumspect and realizes that her decision to run away could have serious repercussions on her family and hence doesn’t do so. She also realizes that she has a responsibility towards her family and her husband. So after all the drama, she lets him down and says sorry I cant come with you ..carry on . Now the movie potrays it as some kind of sacrifice . This is where I have an issue. It is no sacrifice. What she wanted was to feel good ,feel desirable, feel pretty and feel like a woman. If anything she seduced him and she literally threw herself at him. And when four days were over she woke up from her dream and realized this is not real life and that it may actually not make sense for her to leave everything and go with Robert . What could she have done going with him? Be a nomad with him? Be jealous and insecure of his past? Feel guilty and start blaming him for not being loved by her children anymore? What she took was a sensible and a very selfish decision not some noble act of sacrifice.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not judging her having an affair at all. Marriage is no bed of roses and over a period of time with family and with kids life starts looking boring and monotonous. A lot of men take their wives for granted and hence there starts this need in the woman to feel desirable and attractive. An extra marital affair sometimes gives you that. The thrill that you feel during your initial days of courtship is bound to fade after a while. Some couples are lucky to find happiness in the daily humdrum of existence once the rush is over and for some it’s a challenge. I am no preach and I think boredom and vulnerability can set in anytime and at any point one of the partners could find themselves doing something they thought they could/would never do .

So at the cost of repeating myself I am not judging the affair potrayed in the movie. I get why Francesca did what she did and as to why she did have an affair. What bothers me in the movie is the nobility accorded to the whole Francesca not leaving bit . I don’t see it as a noble act. I see it as a very sensible decision and a choice. She stood to lose a lot if she left and lets face it .. if you ask me she got the best of both worlds. She got to have an affair and nobody found out EVER! Does it get better than that ;) !!!!!!!!

That’s what I thought of “ bridges….” Tomorrow am all set to watch “ eternal sunshine of the spotless mind “ . The reviews have left me very confused. So I don’t know what to expect . Anyway will keep you all posted :)

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for married couples without kids that allows people the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays about marriage and relationships in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for married couples, statistics about marriage, quotes about marriage, videos about marriage, and other resources about married life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy