My Nan Nan

Colton White
My grandmother, Betty Jane Baker Randolph, or “Nan Nan” as I know her, was born in Haleyville, Alabama. She lived with her mother, father, although her father died when she was only 13 months old, and her two older brothers. She has been a hard working woman all her life, I have never once heard her complain about a situation she has been in or complain about having to work even when it was a result of someone else’s lack of motivation. I have never once heard her say a foul word or something rude. I have never seen my Nan Nan give up on something that she started or do something half-heartedly. Nor have I ever seen my Nan Nan pass up the opportunity to stop whatever she might be doing and help someone else. I guess what I’m trying to get at is that, in my eyes, my grandmother has lead nothing short of an exemplary life.
My grandmother is one of the kindest most loving people on the face of this planet, I have no doubt. She has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I have ever met, and her ability to However, recently on April 26th her husband, my grandpa, or “Paw”, passed away. It is hard to describe in words the feeling that one gets when a loved one is lost. There is an emptiness that is unfathomable and unexplainable to someone who has never had to experience this type of loss. While I was in the hospital several hours before my Paw passed, I was talking to Nan about my school and my soccer, and she asked me if I wanted something from the Chick-fil-A on the lower level of the hospital, I answered, “No mam, but thank you,” and the conversation continued. One thing I began to realize was that even during this time of hurt and worry, her main concern was still the well-being of others rather than herself. My Paw died later that night.
It is one of the hardest things in the world to watch your grandmother cry. I was at a loss for words those days following my grandfather’s death and I certainly didn’t know what to say to my grandmother to begin to console her. I was preparing for her to be, in all honesty, hysterical, and to my surprise she was not. Yes, she was extremely sad, but it was almost as if the sadness was one of rejoicing. After the funeral, we went out to eat with my family and Nan Nan just kept saying to me, “Ohhh Colton, your Paw would have liked that [the funeral and burial], I know he would have, and I know he’s so proud of ya’ll right now. He’s just a smilin’ down at us.” My grandmother isn’t one to look at the glass half empty. She is always looking on the bright side of things and reminding everyone of all the good that can come out of any situation whether it be a flat tire or the death of a loved one. I love my grandmother more than anyone on this planet and she is someone that I truly look up to. My Nan Nan is such an amazing woman and she has taught me so many things in life. One day she will be reunited with Paw and I can only hope and dream to have the courage and strength she did to handle it the same way. I love you Nan Nan.
Comment by Colton White

Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 4:07:34 AM