Getting Married at 23 and Still at University? It is Possible!

Ruthie77
So your loved one has just proposed to you. The future is looking bright and rosy, you are thinking about your future you will have together… once you have completed your studies. Is it possible?

If you are studying and you still want to marry the love of your life, don’t panic! It is possible! Juggling the textbooks with the restraints of a budget can still allow you to have a dream wedding; you just need a little bit of imagination. At the end of the day you are marrying someone who understands the demand university has on your time and so it makes it less of a struggle balancing home life with uni work. Yes, it was tough making student funds stretch to a wedding but with a bit of help we managed it and it is a decision we have never regretted.

Be realistic
When my husband wanted pretty much the whole campus at our ceremony or the whole football team as his groomsmen, I really had to kick him in to touch with real life! We didn’t have the means to allow all these people to take part in our special day so we had a house party later on to accommodate all the people we couldn’t have on the day. The venue, outfits, licence fees all need to come into play. If you take a realistic budget and go with it then you are well on your way to doing your wedding your way.

Make your budget fit your day
If you make your own wedding decorations then that obviously makes an impact on your budget. I gathered together a few of my friends who I knew were skilled in certain areas. My husband’s best friend is an ace photographer and one of my girlfriends is really skilled in hair and make-up. This is the ultimate way of slashing that wedding budget. Utilise all the contacts you have to make your day – you will be surprised at how many people will be willing to help you. When it comes to the all-important wedding dress, I was lucky enough to be able to get a hold of my Grandmother’s vintage piece and just add some small embellishments here and there to jazz it up to my tastes a little. So maybe wear your mom’s, or like I did, get a hold of a vintage dress that you can add to? A gown needn’t be costly.

Have the reception at home
A backyard wedding needn’t be as Hillbilly as it sounds, I really made our space homely with tea light lanterns, and home-made bunting, like the one on www.toptableplanner.com. I dressed the tables with flowers from the garden. Making the space your own with your own touches really adds a personal touch to your day. This I think is the Keyword to the day-Personalised. If you had an endless supply of money in your bank account then you could have all the pomp and ceremony you like for your day. But no matter how much money you throw at it your wedding is what it is, a marriage.

A Personal Thank You
If you are on a tight budget then the thank you gifts for everyone who has helped out can prove quite costly. Try to make the gifts as personal as possible. If your bridesmaid has a love for changing her hair colour then buy her a cut and colour at the local salon or try some home-made thank you gifts. As well, don’t forget people will want to give you a gift too. Think about making a list of the things you haven’t got but would be ideal for setting up your new life together. Wedding present ideas can come in many shapes and forms from contributions to a honeymoon when you are in your holiday period, to gifts for the home. Or try an online shop like and choose something unique for both of you.

Weddings don’t have to be costly affairs, it is possible to marry whilst you are a student and have the best day of your life!