STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Wedding Essentials

etiquetteguy
Tradition Plays a Role in Informal Weddings

When asked what essential elements I would recommend be included in a wedding of today, and what traditions might be appropriate I thought, wow, traditions - that's an ideal way to help structure a contemporary wedding. And here I am in the glorious Catskill Mountains away from my library of reference books. What follows therefore are my raw and unresearched thoughts about old traditions and modern informal weddings.

The guidelines which govern wedding etiquette are as flexible or inflexible as you want them to be. Personally, for informal weddings, I prefer to be more flexible. There are many different variables to consider today. For example, many people marry later in life; couples often pay for their own weddings and don’t want to ‘blow’ a whole lot of money on a party when they could be using the same money to make a down payment on a house; and then there is the omnipresent societal undercurrent to buck the old system to begin with. But even in the case of a modern informal wedding and for this discussion, the fundamentals will fall into the categories of commitment, ceremony, and celebration.

Commitment, by definition, is the keystone of the marriage and it is important to have a thoughtful and clear understanding of exactly what this really means. Marriage is in fact a legal contract between two people making each one the primary custodian (following one’s own self) of the other’s life - forever. And as this primary relationship develops, it includes all of the facets of life which are represented in the wedding vows - all areas of basic importance which we encounter throughout the course of a lifetime.

I recall a close friend of mine remarking to me after her husband retired, “I married him for better or for worse, but not for lunch.” May I say that first of all, ‘lunch’ is a very real part of the deal, and secondly, it’s not really much of a trial in the overall scheme of things. This is where the old adage, ‘look before you leap’ comes in handy.

The ceremony is the most ritualistic element of marriage. It symbolizes the beginning of a new life together, not only the bond between two people individually but also the bond as a couple with their creator or a higher spirit. Without the acknowledgement of these bonds, the ceremony would have no real meaning. This ceremony can take place within the confines of a church or other place of worship, outside in a grassy field, or at any mutually chosen location. The vows can be administered by a church official or by a justice of the peace, as this is after all a legal ceremony above all else.

It is customary for the bride to wear white. This symbolizes, among other things, after the groom kisses the bride, the creation of a new life bond, its purity and its hope. Although in ‘the old days’, female guests would refrain from wearing white, so as not to compete with the bride in any way, today this custom no longer applies. A white dress or garment accented with a brightly colored belt or jacket, for example would be totally fine. At all weddings, invited guests make a special effort to wear clean and festive clothing in colors reflective of joy and celebration.

The celebration following the ceremony is a festival or a feast of sorts. Let’s face it, achieving this milestone in one’s life deserves a party. The circuitous route navigated to get to this stage, when looked back upon, is phenomenal on many levels.

Two of the first things that comes to my mind as components for a great wedding celebration are champagne and wedding cake, both traditionally symbolic of nuptial festivities. Nothing makes for merriment better than bubbles and sugar. The tradition of toasting the bride and groom with champagne or any sparkling non-alcoholic juice occurs just after the cutting of the wedding cake by the bride and groom. The style and flavor of this cake reflects the personality and taste of the bride, and as such typically range from dense fruit and nut cakes to multi-tiered spectacular castle-like creations. The cake cutting is followed by the final tradition of the bride ‘throwing’ her bouquet and her garter for the bridesmaids to catch. Superstition maintains that the lucky recipient will be the next to wed.

Most importantly, weddings are all about the bride and the groom and the recognition and initiation of their new life together. They can be both the hosts and the guests of honor. There will hopefully always be some traditions which will carry on through the ages. I hope you can identify with a few of them here. Fundamentally, tradition honors the respect we have for the past; it validates the present; and it assures us of continuity into the future.
Rate this:

Wedding blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community about weddings.  It allows engaged couples and future (or past) brides and grooms the opportunity to archive their personal wedding stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about weddings, or check out the writing contest about weddings, quotes about weddings, wedding etiquette, funny wedding videos, discounts for your wedding, and other resources for brides and grooms on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your wedding, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy