Wedding TV: Obscuring our Views

Dobbs17
When brides-to-be watch a wedding show such as "Say Yes To the Dress" or even something like "Bridezillas" they get a false sense that wither everything in their wedding will go right, or will fall to pieces before their eyes. In "Say Yes", nearly every bride finds "the dress" with the exception that the dress is thousands of dollars out of her budget. Normally, one of these shows ends in the bride's mother/father agreeing to pay more than previously decided. When a bride in the 'real' world sees this, she will have the idea that she can buy a dress for five thousand dollars, when there are simply gorgeous ones for around five hundred. These shows also have people buying such extravagant wedding decorations that a bridal party might see them and want them. This is nothing but a recipe for an overly enlarged budget of nonsensical belongings that need not be in a wedding unless, of course, you are a larger-than-life-celebrity living in Hollywood. I’m sure that’s not the case here, so I can safely assume that a budget is needed. The main message in these shows is that bigger is better and the bride should always gets what she wants. In life, you should do what you truly want to do, not what some tv show is telling you is popular right now. A small wedding, family and friends, a wedding cake, and a simply stunning, yet well priced, gown to walk down the aisle to the man you love. Doesn’t that sound nice? Or: A wedding dress more expensive than your car, walking down a mile long aisle in too high heels surrounded by all of your most distant acquaintances, and best of all, paying way too much money to feed them all courtesy of a caterer that whose name you can’t pronounce. Though exaggerated, this is the basic gist of what weddings are on tv. Which sounds more appealing? I, for one, wouldn’t want to have to pay long lasting debts to people for something that only lasts one night. Though it is one of the most important, days of a woman’s life, compromises must be made. Maybe the three thousand dollar Vera Wang off-the-runway dress in exchange for a three hundred dollar number from David’s Bridal? Either way, whatever you do, don’t base your wedding off of something from a television show, it will only cause future pain and a whole lot of debt.
Comment by Dobbs17

Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:17:34 AM
Comment by admin

Congrats! Your essay won the April 2012 essay contest on StageofLife.com. Please send an email to [email protected] to claim your prize package (which we'll mail to you).

Thanks and we look forward to reading more of your essays here on StageofLife.com!

Eric Thiegs
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:56:25 AM