Then & Now: When I was young I feared I would never get married, now that I am older I find that I can look back on the fear wit

reb.bec.lam
When I was young I feared that I would never marry, now that I am older I find that I can look back on the fear with amusement. I remember fearing the “old maid” status and as it fast approached, I tried to convince myself that I didn’t care. I told others that I was ok being single because I had done so much with my life that others had never been able to do, due to the ‘marriage’ status they held. I also learned, at this time, that most people who say “single and loving it” are usually lying. As each of my many relationships ended, or each time an engagement was broken off, I would remind myself of all the things I had done with my life and why they were special.
I had earned my degree, travelled to a dozen different countries, been hand selected to join a group for study abroad, worked at Walt Disney World, and performed in New York. Not many could boast as I could. But they had one claim I still craved – the ‘I’m married!’ card always seemed to top everything I threw on the table. At least that was how I felt. Now that I too am married I hold that rump cad. I find myself remembering my wedding day at random times and discovering that I am grinning like a fool while out on my daily bike ride or while making curry for dinner. Now it’s my turn to remind people that they will find the right person when the time is right. A phrase, I might add, that I never actually believe until I happened to me. Looking back on numerous relationships and seven proposals, I am glad I waited for my perfect man and had my amazingly perfect wedding.
Comment by reb.bec.lam

Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:36:00 PM