Then and Now: When I Was Young, Marriage Eluded Me. Now, I Am Preparing To Tie The Knot!

uplifting
When I was young, love played tricks on me. It was like a game of hide and seek, but I could never catch-up to love and marriage. Would I ever become the bride or be resigned to playing the dutiful bridesmaid? Some would say marriage eluded me. I unsuccessfully tried dating coaches, online dating, and a series of blind dates which lead nowhere fast. While I mulled over accepting a life of singlehood, a part of me longed for the kind of love that my parents shared. They were married for forty two beautiful years, until my beloved father passed away. Today, I am thankful that I did not give up on true love or marriage.

He noticed my smile in gym class. I noticed his mannerisms when he opened doors for others. He escorted me to the dance, and the rest, as some would say, is history. His politeness, I believe, is the result of his Christian upbringing, the guidance of his father, and the love of his mother. We were originally enrolled in the same high school, but he transferred to another school in the area. Not being able to laugh at his quirky jokes on a daily basis or witness his kind acts was a bit of an adjustment. Although we graduated from different high schools, we remained friends, even throughout college. We served as each others’ cheerleaders when we graduated from college-the same college-together. We were excited about life’s prospects, and we were the closest of friends. I moved back home to begin my new career, and he moved about 650 miles away from our home. Most often, the story would end there, but for us, distance was just the catalyst our friendship needed in order to grow into marriage.

A few years after he relocated to our hometown, Michael and I began dating. We attend church together, pray together, and discuss our personal expectations, once married. My mother suggested that we read Proverbs, and we have followed her prudent advice. For me, marriage is important not only for companionship, but also for building a life together and sharing every aspect of our lives with each other. For me, it is truly a lifetime commitment which I welcome with great anticipation.

I have been blessed to find true, unadulterated love with my longtime friend. It is this bond which serves as the basis for the most loving relationship I have ever known. We share incredibly similar views regarding marriage. We both want to make it work and stay committed to becoming better partners for each other and any family legacy we may be blessed with. We have love, faith, and the blessings of our family and friends. Our future, as we call it, could not come soon enough for us. In fact, we will tie the knot in October. We both “saved the best for last”.
Comment by uplifting

Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:10:33 AM