Weddings Are Beyond Overrated...

MuzicInsomniac
Weddings are beyond overrated in my eyes. Could it be because it costs so much to have one when a good percentage of marriages nowadays end in divorce anyway? Or maybe it's the fact that when one throws a wedding the people that show up, unless actually in the ceremony, are usually unknown by the new happy couple? Maybe it's a mix of the two, I don't know for sure. Personally speaking, I've never even been to a wedding. Not my sister's, not my aunt's (which was scheduled purposely one week after I ended my yearly visit with her), not even my own mother's. But I guess that tells you a little something. But that's beside the point. I've never been in love, but I one day aspire to be, just like every young girl does. No, I've never been in love, but I do believe that if you are, you don't need to spend all your money on a ceremony to show that you are. I think that just signing that certificate, vowing to spend the rest of your life with the one that you love, would be enough and so much more. That being said, if you don't love someone, don't marry them. Because chances are, there's someone out there who would love and charish you, without either of you have many objections. You just have to give them the chance to find you or make the move yourself.
Comment by steviegreek

A wedding is a tradition that has a lot of different emotions, ideas, and beliefs attached to it. I understand why you, never having been in love or even attended a wedding, would question the reason for all of the fanfare. I agree that in today's society, some people spend way too much on their weddings! The average cost of a wedding in the United States is something like 25,000 dollars! That's a down payment on a house! But with the high cost associated with weddings aside, there are a lot of reasons why people choose to have weddings instead of just having a private civil ceremony to become legally married. Since it's inception, marriage has been tied to religion. Many people choose to have a traditional wedding because it is a sacred and ceremonial rite in their religious tradition. Some people just want to throw a big party to celebrate this new step in their lives with their and their new spouses family and friends. Honestly, for two people who are in love and committed to each other, I don't think there is anything wrong with just wanting to have the spotlight on them for their special day. Personally, I think that if I decided not to have a traditional wedding and just went to the courthouse to make my union legal, I would feel like I was downplaying the joy and the importance of that time in my life. If I only plan on getting married once in my life, why shouldn't I want to celebrate it?
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:19:59 PM
Comment by nedacasta

I definitely see your point that weddings could be viewed as a waste of money and totally not necessary. But, it also sounds like you aren't into weddings period as a guest or as in actually having one yourself and that's fine. I'm a softie and I love attending weddings. I love witnessing people I care about pledge their love for one another. I also loved my wedding day. It was so special to celebrate our love with friends and family. And that's how I looked at it. A celebration. A party. Totally optional and totally done on a resonable budget so I wouldn't regret doing it. You may or may not change your mind. Time will tell, but for me I have no regrets about having a wedding and am glad I didn't miss out on it.
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:41:54 PM