What's Your Wedding Style?

RevAngela
You’ve heard this phrase in the bridal magazines. Everyone has it – let’s find yours.

As with everything in a wedding each element most flow into the other. When you attend a wedding that has been properly planned and choreographer you tend to say – that was a very nice wedding; when this doesn’t happen you can feel the difference thoughout the entire wedding.

Every element of your wedding is very important and must be treated as such. You shouldn’t pay more attention to your flowers, and forget about your music. The same holds true for your wedding ceremony.

The time of day and attire of your bridal party, all need to be in harmony with your ceremonial dreams as well. If there are monetary constraints, then you are the exception.

For example, if you are planning on having a morning wedding (9am – 11am) without a bridal party (no Best Man or Maid of Honor), with very casual dress (no tuxedos, no wedding dress/ no tea length dress) and no reception following, then an informal wedding ceremony may be best.

If you choose to have a wedding in the afternoon (12 noon – 4 pm), with at least a 1 + 1 bridal party (Best Man & Maid of Honor) with selected wedding attire (tuxedos, wedding dress, tea length gowns), with an official reception (of any formality) following, a semi-formal wedding ceremony may be best.

If you choose to have an evening wedding (4pm-7pm) with at least a 4 + 4 bridal party with formal wedding attire for all involved (wedding gown with a chapel/cathedral length train, tuxedos, bridesmaids gown, flower girl & ring bearer, ushers) with a formal reception following, a formal wedding ceremony is best for you.

An informal ceremony can last from 5-7 minutes, since there is no inclusion of a procession or recession. The wording may not be as formal as a later wedding, however, the reverence of a deity may be included. Excluded the mention of a deity would make it a simple Civil ceremony.

A semi-formal ceremony can last between 12-20 minutes, depending upon if the couple has chosen to include any “special touch elements”. Special touch elements would be – the unity candle, the sand ceremony, jumping the broom, or the Holy Communion.

A formal ceremony can last between 20-30 minutes depending on the number of people in the bridal party, and the number of special touch elements included in the ceremony. For example, if you have a 5 + 5 bridal party, you choose to have the unity candle, the rose ceremony for the mothers, and Holy Communion – that ceremony will lean more towards a 30 minute run time from the moment the groom walks out to you are pronounced husband & wife.

The length of the wedding ceremony also has other factors to consider – will a sermon be included, will you have reading done by family members? The more items you add, the more formal the wedding becomes. So be sure to ask your officiant/minister, how long the ceremony will run. If you have limited time at your venue then this is an important question.

Talk with all of your vendors and your wedding will turn out beautifully.