Marriage: What Does God Say?

Jazzy1995
Marriage: What Does God Say?

February 19, 2o11

Dear Journal,

There's been a lot of talk going on about marriage lately, and honestly? I've had about enough. Journal, I don't think it has anything to do with me being jealous of people who are in love, or even with my decision not to date until my senior year of high school. No, I think people today are too quick to jump into something that shouldn't be a snap decision. Marriage is not meant to be disposable. Did you know there are contracts that a man and a woman – who are about to get married – can sign just in case the marriage “doesn't work out?” It's called a Prenuptial Agreement, and it amazes me how someone could even think that marriage is disposable, when that's not how God intended it to be.

I remember just a couple of months ago when I was at youth group. This subject happened to catch our interest, so we all talked about it. I honestly didn't even know a “Prenup” existed until Mr. Jim brought it up. Just the thought of it enraged me; it's like people that think marriage is not required to be with someone you love. God meant for marriage to be a sacred bond between a couple, not a gift you can decide weather or not you like it and then be done with it. Malachi 2:16 clearly says; “For I hate divorce!” says the Lord, the God of Israel. “To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.”

Marriage is not a snap decision; in fact, it should take a long time to finally come to a conclusion. It makes my heart hurt when someone thinks that they can re-marry a million times before finding the special someone they've always dreamed of. It's like I told my youth group; “Don't jump right into a relationship, because all you'll do is get hurt. Get to know your own favorites before you get to know someone else's. Fall in love with yourself before you 'fall in love' with somebody else.”
Comment by kinzie52

again, i love all these entries that bring God into the picture. you displayed his truth perfectly. and the way you ended your essay was also perfect. it reminded me about the importanceof self love before being able to love another person. i know that self love isnt even something that i have perfected yet.
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:20:07 AM
Comment by Jazzy1995

Thank you, Kinzie. :] I love it when people appreciate my writing. It makes me feel loved. :D And yeah, I'm waiting until my Junior year before I start dating again. I am a Freshman. xD It's going to be rough, but I think I can do it.
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:31:03 AM
Comment by ElleoftheBall

Thank you for sharing your very personal thoughts. One of the wonderful things about stage of life is that everyone can express their own beliefs and perhaps enlighten others in the process. I liked that quote from scripture...I've never heard it before and think it is definitely one worthy of reflection.
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:42:14 AM