Second Chances: Celebrating Our Health

leamanla
Carrie is my younger sister but also my best friend. We weren't as close until high school when we were in the same dance class and youth group at church. Before that, Carrie was considered the "good child". I was always the troublemaker getting punished. Carrie was a momma's girl, always loving to snuggle or make up funny handshakes with her, which made me secretly jealous.

When Carrie was in second grade, she started complaining of stomach pain. My parents took her to many doctors and they didn't know what was wrong. Finally, they took her to a psychologist who diagnosed Carrie with OCD. Carrie would refuse to do things because it "made her stomach hurt". The irrationality made sense, but the next few years were difficult for our whole family. Carrie was often silent in her cognitive behavior therapy meetings. Just getting her to school was a huge accomplishment. And then once she was there, she would go to the nurse's office.

Being so young, I didn't really understand what was going on. I was confused and angry that Carrie wouldn't play dolls with me anymore, wouldn't go to certain rooms anymore, could only do things a certain amount of times, had to say the same thing every day, and wouldn't wear the clothes I picked out for her. I saw my parents (particularly, my mom) cry over what to do many nights. It was a long process with no magic cure. Carrie worked hard in therapy, found a medication that worked for her, and read the book Hind’s Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard many times. She learned to call out to the Lord in her pain and trust His will for her life. Watching her grasp that at such a young age was really inspiring.

I love that we have dance and our faith as a common interests, and I'm so thankful she decided to go to the same college as I did. I struggled with some mental health issues during my senior year and Carrie was the one person who helped me through it. She would check in on me often and encourage me without talking down to me. She knew exactly the right things to say since she had been through something similar. She was one of the few people who stuck by me and I know without a doubt I would not have gotten through that time without her. I'm so blessed to be able to call Carrie my sister.

I graduated last year, but thankfully I still live close by. Carrie and I still go to the same church every Sunday. Recently, we've been going on double dates together (the four of us get along great!) I also love calling Carrie on the phone after work just to chat. I know Carrie and I will be close our whole lives. I'm especially excited to have her stand at the altar with me as my Maid of Honor next summer!