A Song in the Night

popsiemom
“Pick a song we can dance to at the wedding,” my soon-to-be-married son Spike instructed me. “Keep it short.”
My unenthusiastic response, “OK.” I had always assumed my child would love to pick that song himself--to show how much our relationship meant to him.
“One more reason to feel left out of this whole wedding,” I grumbled to myself.
Mothers of sons know what to expect if/when their sons find a bride. Thirty years ago, my brother’s wife told my mom to “wear beige and shut up,” and that same advice came to me in the form of “Wear any color but white, and we’ll ask for help if we need it.”
It turns out my son and his fiancee didn’t need much help. They managed to plan it all without any advice or money from either set of parents. I really felt left out.
That all changed the night of my son’s bachelor party. He and a dozen of his friends paint-balled each other for several hours, then enjoyed a bachelor buffet and a baseball game. I looked to forward to hearing about the party at breakfast.
It was 2:45 a.m. when I heard the small voice in the dark. “Mom, I don’t feel good. Mom, help!”
It was the same call that came years ago during thunderstorms, the same plea that begged for comfort after his tonsil surgery. It was my little boy come to find his mom in the night.
“Please, let’s keep this between us,” he whispered.
I rubbed his back as he listed the foods and drinks he had consumed before, during, and after the game. I hid my smile as he vowed, “I’ll never drink again.”
I rubbed his head and tucked him in, promising to stay with him until he fell asleep. “Thanks, Mom,” he said. And then, as he drifted off, “I miss my Boo,” a reference to his fiancée Mallory.
As I waited for his body to relax into sleep, sounds of the night kept me company. A lonely train whistle was a kind of night-time serenade.
The long, sad whistle of that train that forced me to accept that my son was about to begin a journey that would take him far from home without me. I sat on his bed for quite a while, realizing that this would be my last chance to be his “mommy,” the one who could keep him safe from the frights of the night. There was a beautiful young woman—his first love—waiting to take on that job.
For that one night, I got my mother-son song. There was no music, no DJ, and no special dress or preparation. It seems I had been doing the prep work his whole life, and now I was being rewarded with the sweet, sweet lyrics I had dreamed about since the day he was born: “Mom, I need you.”
Comment by Abi ahmad

Marriage is the best feeling in the world.
It does not only match two-person its also match the two families.
I think that celebrated this movement as you wish.

If your TV did not work properly you miss these things. That time TV Repair Dubai helps you to solve your all TV's issues quickly and affordable price. We provide all brand service in Dubai. Our priority is to solve your TV problem quickly and at a given time through our best team.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:42:37 AM
Comment by sukamin88

Thank you for providing this interesting and fascinating information. You can experience many interesting games here. mapquest driving directions
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:30:55 AM