Romantic Destinations for a Valentine’s Day Like No Other

josiesampson
The new year is well under way and Christmas is all but a distant memory, which means only one thing: Valentine’s Day is almost upon us once more. That’s right, the day for lovers hits again on 14th February and couples the world over are hoping to celebrate in style. If you’re struggling for a way to say I love you like never before, why not take the plunge and book a romantic getaway for two? Here are the best destinations that all starcrossed lovers are sure to enjoy.

Paris, France
You might think that a Valentine’s break in Paris is nothing more than a wellworn cliché, but there’s a reason that this city will continually be described as the most romantic in the world: because it is! However many times you visit the City of Light, Paris will forever have that little je ne sais quoi towards love that just isn’t matched by anywhere else in the world. Whether it’s the romantically renaissance buildings or the winding cobbled streets, it’s the perfect excuse for candlelit dinners overlooking the river Seine or sky-high flutters atop the Eiffel Tower. There’s no denying it, Paris is a city that promises all the ingredients for the ultimate Valentine’s Day rendezvous.

Top tip: Paris’ 7th arrondissement is home not just of the infamous Eiffel Tower, but also to the most luxury of Parisian lifestyles. If you want to truly pamper your Valentine in the City of Light, treat them to one of the many beautiful hotels in the 7th arrondissement - Expedia have a great selection.

Istanbul, Turkey
Perhaps no other city in the world encapsulates the cultural harmony of East meeting West quite like Istanbul. As exotic as it is frenetic, this Eurasian city is steeped in beautifully historic mosques and treasure-trove bazaars with colourful sights, sounds and smells greeting you on every corner. However you spend your time in Istanbul, sharing the unparalleled experience of this undeniably unique city with the one you love gives you the perfect chance to create memories together that will last a lifetime.

Top tip: If you want to slow down the pace for a few hours, catch an early morning ferry to the nearby Princes’ Islands. Motorised traffic is banned, leaving the islands blissfully quiet and meaning that romantically strolling hand-in-hand is order of the day.

Cartagena, Colombia
If you’re willing to push the boat out for a little Latin lovin’, you can’t go wrong with South America’s most romantic city: Cartagena. A unique fusion of Spanish history and Latin passion combine with the year-round sunshine of the caribbean coastline to make Cartagena a fairytale city like no other. With the colonial buildings dating back to the port city’s founding in 1533, Cartagena is a maze of cobbled alleys and palm-tree lined plazas, peaking in the beautifully preserved elegance of the UNESCO World Heritage’s Old Town. Share a romantic horse and carriage ride across town or take a moonlit stroll along the ancient city wall, Valentine’s Day in Cartagena is sure to leave you feeling hot-blooded.

Top tip: For a bonding experience like no other, nearby Volcán de Lodo El Totumo is a mud-bath located inside a volcano, renowned for its healing properties. The mineral-rich mud inside is so dense that bathers cannot sink and instead float happily together in its therapeutic power. It’s best booked as a day tour from Cartagena.