Truths of Engagement: A Wedding Planning Interview

TracySmiles
At this point in my life I feel like everybody around me is getting engaged and making wedding plans. Every time I turn around, it seems like someone else is on bended knee, proposing. Personally, I have not actually been to many weddings yet (though I foresee that changing in the future), but it seems like an awful lot of trouble based on what TV shows have taught me. But we all know those can be overdramatic and I wanted to get a better understanding of what the whole engagement/wedding planning experience is really like,so I decided to interview one of my friends,Sam, about her engagement to her fiance, Steve.

M: Okay. First question, who proposed to who?

S: Steve to me.

M: And how did he do it? Was there some sort of elaborate plan or was it sweet and simple?

S: It was planned. He made these little cards with clues on them. They were laminated so I could scrapbook them later. He tied the cards to roses and I had to find all the roses in the places that each clue lead me to. The first rose was at home, then I had to go to where we meet, our first date, first kiss, our favorite place to eat, our first bar, and then he proposed at the aquarium because he always said he would take me there but never did.

M: Awwww, that is so sweet! Way to go Steve! Were you surprised?

S: Yes and no, because I kinda knew what happening. After the third rose it got to the point where I knew. Also, I had to drive alone because the friend that was supposed to go with me backed out at the last second and left me to drive for three hours alone. I got lost and things like that, so by the time I got there I was like, “He better have the a ring or I am gonna kick his butt.” The day hit a frustrating point for me.

M: Well at least it all worked out in the end, and obviously he did propose. Had you guys talked about getting married a lot beforehand?

S: A good amount. We would joke about kid’s names and what we would have liked [gender of children]. I also kinda knew it was coming because he took me to different places to look at rings. He bought a ring and hinted at the type. And I said, “God, if someone bought me that for a ring, i would change it that day because it was ugly and I could never ever wear that.” We also lived together for 6 months beforehand so if it wasn't going anywhere I think I would have known.

M: How long were you guys dating before Steve proposed?

S: About 2 years and 6 months

M: How did you guys know you were ready to take it to the next level?

S: We had been together a while and we never seem to really really fought. We loved each other and we knew it was real love. We both questioned it a little bit but overall we knew that it did not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

M: And when did you guys decide to get married?

S: Well, we talked about it for a while but we wanted to wait until I was undergraduate school. After that it was a matter of having the ring and the money for the ring.

M: So are you now in the process of planning the wedding?

S: Yes.

M: And who is doing the planning? Are you both getting involved with it?

S: Yes for most of the stuff, like the location and the date. We both decided on the photographer, the DJ, and the flowers. We are both looking at what we want. I am in charge of my dress and the cake, and I want him to wear a certain type of tux. I am basically in charge of the stuff that is in the pictures forever!

M: I like that, I feel like men should be involved in the planning of the wedding. It is not just the girl's day, it is belongs to both of them. How has your dress shopping gone? Have you found "the one" yet?

S: Yes, I have found and order “the one”. I found a dress that I am 100 percent in love with. It is wonderful, and I order it as soon as I found it so it would not be discontinued. Also, because the wedding is so far from now, if I find that there is something wrong with the dress when I first get it I can have time to fix it if I need to.

M: Do you mind if I ask what the dress looks like?

S: It is a 1920s style dress with buttons and a sheer lace back so you can see my whole back. It is only two layers so it is light. I have silver shoes to go with it and I am using my mom’s veil.

M: Aw, that's so sweet! Is that your something borrowed?

S: Or my something old, not sure yet.

M: So is your wedding going to have a 1920s theme then?

S: Great Gatsby, so yes.

M: Wow, that is going to be amazing. How did you decide on that?

S: Our location just screams 1920s. I have always wanted a vintage wedding, either 1920s or 1940s, so I was really happy when the location screamed 1920s. And the women call the room we’re using for the reception the Great Gatsby ballroom.

M: Wow, so it all just kinda fell into place. What would you say has been or currently is the most difficult part of planning a wedding?

S: Finding a wedding party.

M: Why do you say that?

S: Because people either don't want to be in my wedding or they can't or they are so flaky they cannot be trusted to even pull through. And I don't want my family to be in the wedding party. Also, with couples if someone breaks up I need another person.

M: That sounds difficult. And you don't want your family in the wedding party? Why not?

S: Because I cannot put all of the cousin in it and I don't want to extend my party past four.

M: Oh okay, that makes sense. So, what has been your favorite part of wedding planning so far?

S: Finding the location, the dress, and the rings.

M: Why is that?

S: It has been the most fun and least stressful.

M: And is there anything you haven't done yet in your planning that you are looking forward to?

S: Making the center pieces. We know what they are, but we still have to make them.

M: Have you and Steve ever really disagreed on something for the wedding yet?

S: No, not besides the first try at a ring.

M: Do you think this overall experience has changed your relationship in any way?

S: No, it’s just fun.

M: And finally, do you have any advice you would give to couples who are thinking of getting engaged or who have just started wedding planning?

S: Communication is key.

M: Why is that?

S: Because in wedding planning you have to take both people into consideration as well as the parents.

M: That's good advice. Thanks for the interview Sam.