In sickness and in health, 13 years in the making

shannonmagee5810
Our story is a long one, it lasts 13 years, so I will have to start from the very beginning, as if it were a fairy tale story.

When I was 15, the act that caused all of this to fall into place, was when I failed math. To think, what I thought was the end of the world, (for a 16 year old, failing math was serious business) was actually the beginning of something spectacular. The boy I met in that class wasn't my future husband, but he was a key to the puzzle. It's starting to feel like an episode of how I met your mother isn't it? I met Mike Schmidt that day in summer school; he was a lot like myself as we both had family issues at home and we clung together for comfort and support. I was going through my parents divorce and he was going through his own parental issues. Sadly his father was dying and they weren't coping well at home. He introduced me to his friends as he had lots of parties at his large almost cottage-like property. It was like a getaway from it all time, something I hadn't ever experienced as I didn't have too many friends. Quite a loner for many years, so taking part in these large parties was very overwhelming for me. At Mike's birthday he introduced me to Brad Ballanger, (who spotted me as I jumped on the trampoline) a quirky kid but gorgeous and all the girls flocked to him. He was high strung and an actor at heart. I always thought, this kid is going to be an actor some day. Everything he talked about had such passion and emotion, something I wasn't ready to see in a man yet. The men in my life were, I guess you could compare them to John Wayne. Mike and I split after about a year of on off long distance dating, he was in boarding school and it was too much for 15 year old's to keep going. Now even though we had split, the friends I made among his group still remained close with me, as did Mike, so I still was able to attend the parties year after year.

Now fast forward a few years, around 17, Brad and I had been talking on and off for some time and getting close. We started online journals and got to read into each other's lives. I got to see that this boy, this cocky ladies man, was actually a very kind soul. He was almost as fragile as I was, inside wanting to please everyone and yet on the outside you saw this confident powerful guy. I wanted to know more about him, but I could never get past thinking of him as just a friend. He had so many girls why would I even contemplate thinking of him as anything more. Sure we flirted back and forth, but there couldn't be anything more to us, could there?

Well one night at Mike's traditional birthday bash, (by the way we're now 18) Brad was chasing around his then girlfriend Cass throughout the property. She was jealous, as they all were, and having a fit. Brad came to me and most dramatically poured his heart out. As if we were on a soap opera with pauses and all. I had been drinking so this was a riot to me, not exactly the warm help I should have been. He finally started to say something I'd never in a million year expect. "shannon.....(these are long pauses)..... I have to tell you something.....(I'm giggling).....would you....this is hard to say.....would you...go out with me?" I giggled and said something about Cass and him being my friend, etc etc. It just wasn't going to happen. We hugged but I had no idea that it hurt him. I myself had not enough self esteem to see that I would matter to anyone, and the guy I was seeing at the time certainly treated me like dirt.

Years go on and Brad and I remained close as always, two peas in a pod. Always commenting on each other's journals online, always keeping in touch, always sharing how we felt and giving one another advice. Brad was going through hard times and so was I, it was a wonderful comfort to us both to have the other to reach out to when no one else understood. I was always with my on again off again boyfriend Jesse, and Brad was always there to pick up the pieces when my heart was broken. I tried dating some of Brad's friends, but those never worked out, but still Brad was there. I kept going back to Jesse, and in fact it was a 10 year ordeal. Brad and I fought a lot and even had some periods where we didn't even speak to each other. I never understood it was because when I went back for more anguish, Brad hurt for me. We did a lot of back and forth hurt, my anniversary was always at the time of his birthday celebrations so i often missed out. Or I'd have a panic attack and not be able to go. On Brad's end, when I had interest, there was always another girl right there. The timing wasn't right, and I never pictured myself with him, just thought he's always going to be my best friend.

At one point Jesse, (the on again off again boyfriend) had asked that I never speak to Brad again. I never stood firm on anything in my life up against Jesse, but I found myself putting my foot down on this. "Brad will always be in my life!" I screamed. That was it, end of discussion, but it got me thinking, he's truly important to me.

It's now 2003, I'm off to university and we're 20. The first time I was going to be far away from Brad and the friends I cared about. I basically had a meltdown. I felt so alone even though Jesse followed me. I hid in my room until I failed and returned home. This is where Brad and the crew got closer to me than ever, we all banned together in our chaotic youth. We all were lost souls trying to find our way in the world, and turned to partying and gaming to sooth the turmoil. As always Brad had every girl under the sun, I even got to witness girls leaving his bedroom to come chat to me during the parties, saying how awesome it was. The one joy I took in all this was after the end of the night when he was done with them, he came to me to chat about life and real things. We always were able to pour our hearts out to one another.

In 2008 we lost touch for a bit, we had a big blow up only this one lasted longer than it should have. Then finally Brad faithfully tracked me down and we were reunited on facebook. Our facebook timeline actually has so much history it could be a book itself from 2006.

We're finally coming to the end of the journey, props to you for making it this far through the story. It's 2012 and Jesse had finally left my life, I was finally free and able to be myself once more. I wanted to make plans with friends, live life like I should, i was 27 and I wasn't getting any younger. I wanted to get the old gang together but one thing was in my way - Brad's girlfriend Lauren. To think he finally had a stable girlfriend, I was honestly proud and happy for him that he finally found someone he could be with longer than a one night stand, or a chaotic rollercoaster ride. The only problem was she was insanely jealous of me, and everyone else under the sun. Brad and I often talked about it, as we always talked about our relationship woes, and I felt finally I can give advice and help him as he did for me. In fact I helped patched the two back together on a couple of occasions, assuring her that he loved her. I said I've never seen him so committed to someone in my life, take that as a sign, he loves you. I had no idea that behind the scenes she was losing her temper on him, and even hit him. He turned to me and I told him I only wanted him to be happy, to follow his heart. In the meantime I was trying to date around, but didn't bring up my dating woes, it was his time to shine. What I didn't expect was the two broke up at the beginning of 2013. For the first time in 13 years we both were single at the same time!

We got to chatting as we always do, and thought what a perfect time to get chilling together and partying as we once did when we were young. We made plans to meet, but he changed the subject into something I didn't see coming whatsoever. He asked me out. I was floored. We always danced around the subject, and whenever it was brought up we both laughed and said ah we're just friends. This time that didn't happen. I said yes. We met up and my heart was racing, but as soon as we sat next to each other on the couch it was as if we'd always done this. We kissed, the chemistry was there. It worked! Somehow after all these years, it felt so right to just let this happen.

Months go by and we start living together, we have our ups and downs as couples do, but we meshed so well it was scary. We pushed we pulled, we tried so hard to get under the other's skin just to see if they'd leave. We both had a fear of heart ache and we were determined to see what we could get through. Neither of us expected that Brad would be diagnosed with Meneires disease, an illness that only gets worse over time without a cure, unless you get stem cell research done. He got worse as the months went on and needed a cane, he even told me to leave on occasions to go have a better life. He had to go on disability and give up his dream of becoming an actor/director. He had worked so hard to build a name in the business too. I wasn't about to let meneires disease ruin all that we had built together. At the same time my legs swelled up, still are swollen, and we're trying to find out why. So we both began to fall to pieces health wise, but stood strong against all the obstacles that came our way. October 15th rolled around, well October 14th near midnight to be exact, and Brad sat with me in the smoke room as we always do, as he smokes and I don't, so I sit outside the area so we can chat. He told me to stand up, I laughed, "what? why am i standing?" Then he got on one knee. He said, "shannon amanda magee...." and to be honest, a ringing in my head began as if everything was going so fast, the room was spinning and I couldn't think anymore. He had the perfect speech and I was having a brain malfunction. He went on to say how he couldn't imagine his life without anyone else, how he never believed in marriage until me. He truly didn't, we went years laughing about how he'd be a player forever. He finished his speech and I collapsed and held him and squeaked yes. Now we're planning a wedding we never thought in a million years would happen. Our friends actually were saying "FINALLY!" Like they knew all along we were meant to be. Our family supported it, everyone was celebrating, much like when we posted on facebook that we were in a relationship and our newsfeed was flooded with congratulations. It felt so right, and it was wonderful to have everyone backing us. Now our health may not be at it's best today, but we've made it all this time together, we'll get through this too. I'll always love him and I'll always want what's best for him, and I know he's the only one who thinks the very same. He's my soul mate, and it took us all these years to finally admit it. We just needed to be ready for this, because when I think back, we weren't mentally ready for each other, trust wise. We needed to go through a lot to get to where we are today, and to build the trust we have, it's truly the best thing that's happened to me.

All I can say is, I'm glad I failed math, and I'm glad that my life through all the chaos, through all the turmoil, I finally have my happy ending with Brad Ballanger. We'll always look after each other no matter what comes our way, in sickness and in health, till death do we part.
Comment by shannonmagee5810

Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:21:42 PM
Comment by Esantiago

Wow this story is truly amazing! I wish you both the best! I've recently experienced having old friends come back into my life and change my life in ways I could have never predicted. It's amazing to see how life surprises us and how we are given the opportunity to look back at the journey. Congratulations! -Elly
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:16:02 AM
Comment by LOLLA

Es gibt solche Medikamente, die fast sofort anfangen zu helfen, ich bin selbst überrascht, aber es ist wahr. Hier ist ein Beispiel für https://ed-oesterreichische.at/active-pack/ Wenn Sie ernsthafte Probleme mit der Potenz haben, rate ich Ihnen, nicht zu warten, es gab auch keine pobochki. Die ideale Option
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 4:17:15 PM