Goal Setting: Remember to take a breath!

sarahgoett
Being engaged has been the most beautiful and stressful season of my life. My fiancé has been the most amazing support and is just as excited about planning a wedding as I am, which is not usual. But we quickly found out how much planning really comes with a wedding. We have been engaged for a month now. The first week or two we really jumped right in, wanting to get a little of every aspect nailed down. When the stress started to build up, we had to step back and evaluate our wedding planning process. We started making realistic goals that we could achieve one step at a time. The first was to find a venue and set a date. We gave ourselves three weeks to do this because venues were starting to fill up and we wanted to give ourselves enough time but still set a realistic goal so we remain focused on planning. The best part about setting our goals is that we gave ourselves breaks in between our goals so if we fail, we have some recovery time but if we meet our goals, we have some time to rest in between and have some time off from planning to spend focusing on our relationship and ourselves. Setting goals is so important because it relieves stress knowing you have a timeline to get things accomplished. But, it is also important to remind yourself that it is okay to break them or fail every now and then. I am also a student getting my Master's and sometimes it is more important to complete my goals in the program and I have to set aside my wedding planning goals. Since we gave ourselves breaks, we do not get stressed out if we have to set a goal back a few days or a week or two. Remember that not everything can go according to plan, but know that if you stay focused and true to your goals, you can accomplish anything.
Comment by sarahgoett

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:07:00 PM