A Poetic Proposal

devrie58
I have proof that even a great proposal can have little mishaps--mostly because unsuspecting brides like myself don't understand why their usually flexible partner is suddenly very inflexible. Allow me to explain.

My fiance, Kevin, and I had been together three years when we planned a Hawaiian vacation. The morning we left for Hawaii, I didn't sleep much and was quite tired. I told Kevin at least three times that day that I couldn't wait to get to Hawaii to take a nap. Kevin, on the other hand, was pumped up and had been acting very weird all day. I found him giggling at times, tripping over things, and acting extremely happy.

"Why are you so happy?" I asked.

"I'm just super excited to go to Hawaii!" He responded. "You shouldn't take a nap when we get back because we'll be in Hawaii and we can go look at the ocean!"

I disagreed silently. I don't care how excited he is, this girl needs a nap in order to enjoy her vacation!

Once we landed in Hawaii, I was thrilled! I knew it was almost time for me to take a nap once we checked in to our condo.

At the airport, Kevin asked if I wanted to change into a dress when we landed so I would look "cute" for any pictures we might take on the way to the hotel. I was a little disgruntled, as it seemed rather silly to me if I was just going to take a nap at the hotel, but I changed anyhow. Apparently, this did not tip me off to the impending big moment.

The front desk woman at our hotel was very friendly and helpful and gave us the keys to our ocean-view room with a broad smile. We made our way up to Room 315 and put the key in the lock. Kevin nearly raced to get the room before I did.

I rushed inside to fall into bed, only to find that there was already a woman cooking in our kitchen. Kevin looked panicked. We apologized and left and he frantically ran (literally, he ran!) to the front desk to get the right key to the right room. Apparently, the front desk woman, who knew about the proposal was so excited about it that she had made a mistake.

Finally, we were in our lovely two bedroom condo! Here is how our conversation went:

"Look honey, there's roses and champagne," Kevin said.

"Kevin, that's great--thank you! Let's take a nap," I said.

"No, come out on the balcony. We can see the ocean!"

"The ocean will still be there when we wake up, honey."

"No, come out here!"

So I did.

"I got you a present."

"Why?"

"I wrote you a book of poems," Kevin said, pulling out a leather-bound book. Our initials were engraved in the front of it.

"There are 52 poems, one for every week of the year. They're categorized by season," He said.

Oh. My. God. It was then that I realized that this was a proposal. THIS was why he'd been acting weird all day!

"I'm not going to read you all of the poems, but there's a special one I want to read you now."

He flipped to the last poem in the book, where a hole had been cut out to fit my engagement ring. He pulled out the ring, got down on one knee, and began to read.

Proposal

51 poems have come before
51 devotions, promises and more
All these words were nothing compared to now
My moment as I ask you to take a vow
I love you and want to pledge my life
My soul, my heart, if you become my wife
I thank you for your patience and devotion
You fill me with desire and emotion
Please make me the happiest man on earth
And say you will join me in home and hearth
Here I am before you on my knees
And I ask you, Corinne Alane DeVries

Will you marry me?

I said YES!

Everything about the day started to make sense. We hugged and kissed and cried. And all the little mishaps really didn't matter. He spent the next week reading the poems to me.

Also, I never did get my nap. ;)
Comment by devrie58

"Why are you so happy?" I asked.

"No, come out here!"

So I did.

"I got you a present."

"Why?"

Proposal

51 poems have come before
51 devotions, promises and more
My moment as I ask you to take a vow
I love you and want to pledge my life
You fill me with desire and emotion
Here I am before you on my knees
And I ask you, Corinne Alane DeVries

Will you marry me?

I said YES!

Also, I never did get my nap. ;)
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 7:53:22 AM
Comment by maurabeaver

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as today's Facebook featured essay! Please go to https://www.facebook.com/StageofLife to check it out and share it with your friends and family.

We thoroughly enjoyed reading your essay and look forward to seeing more from you. Keep on writing! :)

Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:41:15 PM
Comment by devrie58

Sweet! Thank you! Does this mean I won the spa certificate prize!?!?!?!?! :)
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:03:17 AM