Marriage: Imagine Them Ugly, and the Time You Can Endure

KitKat
The wedding itself is nothing, filled with glitzy tawdriness and for some reason tears, I can never understand why – perhaps I’m too young. Anyone can be married – it’s a ring, a few words and a statement of your undying love. Of course, sometimes it’s a duty, for religion, sometimes even for money. But aside all that, marriage itself is two people being together as long as they both can possibly be. Sometimes it’s endurance. Other times it’s the ease of being together that two people have managed to obtain. Often it ends. And then in the end what was the point of all that? What was the point of saying those two words, I do, and kissing like you believe, in sickness and in health, you’ll be together until death do you part? When in a few years time there’ll be more papers to be signed and you’ll leave each other’s lives like leaves in the wind. I have nothing against marriage. I’m not saying ‘don’t get married, it’ll all end in tears in a few weeks, you might as well just end it now’. What I’m saying is, make sure you know what you’re doing. Make sure in a few years it won’t be endurance, it will still be love and contentment. Imagine this: Imagine waking up every morning with that person; imagine smelling their morning breath and their sweat; imagine living with their least favourable habits every single day of your life. Imagine them old and grey with saggy bits and wrinkles. Imagine loving them when they’re sick and ugly. Could you stand that? Could you look at the soft folds of their face, the age spots on their leathery twig-like hands, the lines under their eyes, their pink scalp under the sparse white hair, and still love them with all your heart? Imagine loving them until the sun sets and the autumn leaves fall from the trees and a soft breath escapes from your lips like a cobweb in a last peaceful sigh.

Comment by ElleoftheBall

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the more complicated aspects of marriage. I agree that while the wedding may be all about glitz and glamor the marriage needs to go way beyond that.
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:51:53 AM