How to Support Your Friend in Grief

vivien.smith.9862
It’s often hard to find the right words to say or things to do when your loved one is in the middle of grieving. You may be afraid of making the person feel worse with inappropriate words or actions, or perhaps you think that there is little you can do to make things better.

It’s easy to feel lost about how to help a grieving person. Nevertheless, while you can’t take all pain of loss away, you can give much-needed support and comfort. There are many different ways to help a friend in grief, but letting the person know that you care is the first and most essential step.

The death of close friend or relative is one of the most stressful experiences in life. The person who is mourning struggles with many other intense emotions such as depression, guilt or even anger. Very often, the person grieving feels alone in his/her sorrow, so having someone to lean on can help them go through this painful process.
Know that now, more than ever, he or she needs your support and don’t let embarrassment deprive you of the opportunity to reach out to someone in grief. That’s normal when you don’t know exactly what to do. The most important thing is simply to be there because support and care will help your friend to cope with the pain and begin to heal.

Here is a list of few helpful ideas about how to help a grieving person without intruding on their privacy.

1. What to do:

• Stay in touch. Of course, it’s hard to find the right words to say to a person who is grieving, so the best way is to say nothing but simply be near. For example, you can let the person know that you’re here by texting messages like: “Hope, you’re ok. I’m going to call you, but if you don’t feel like talking, please don’t pick up the phone. Just know you can count on me.” Using phrases like “it’ll be better” are quite risky because they can invalidate your friend’s pain by forcing him/her to feel better when he/she can't do that. A grieving person needs time to be upset and not to be judged for that.Acknowledge their loss. Remind your friend that he/she is loved and be more sensitive on important days. Send a message, card or flowers just to let them know you are thinking about them and that you care. Keep doing these things even after person in grief seems like they are doing ok. Try to sense if he/she wants you close or needs space. Moreover, it’s definitely normal to ask them what they want.

2. What not to do:

• Say “call me if you need my help”. No matter how good your intentions are, it’s unlikely your friend will call, because sometimes a grieving person hardly knows what he/she needs in this period. Instead, try to show in active ways how you can help. For example, come and walk the dog, water the plants or offer your babysitting services. Remember, everyone grieves in different ways, so make every effort to anticipate his/her individual needs.
• Tell them how to feel or act. If you have advice that may be helpful, start with “Maybe you could try…” or “Have you thought about…”. But never talk up what your friend must do.
Too often society treats a grieving person like a kid, and people are too afraid to speak about the loss. When this happens, a grieving person can be left with the feeling of isolation and loneliness, when he/she needs friends the most. Just be near and offer a silver lining to cut through the darkness of loss.

About the Author: vivien Smith is a journalist and a blogger at gradeessaywriter.co.uk who is interested in psychology and relationships. She attended the University of Texas (Dallas). In her spare time, she also works as a freelance writer at several companies.
Comment by christine92

good advice, isn't it?
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:50:03 PM