What is your Moment of Awesomeness

alysel17
After leaping out of a plane at 10,000 feet above the ground, while my body barreled towards the earth, I started to have second thoughts. Was this safe? I wondered. What was I doing? My stomach did flip-flops as the tandem instructor catapulted us through the air even faster, effortlessly curling his body into mine.

I screamed.

My entire body filled with trepidation as I realized just how much my life matters to me. If I died while skydiving, I thought, I’d miss out on so much. I’d miss teaching my yoga classes, publishing my novel, curling up on the couch with the love of my life, going dancing, singing in the rain… The list was endless.

My stomach took another plummet and another scream escaped my lips. In that moment, I realized the value of my life – a life that I created for myself. Four years ago, I was depressed and miserable, suicidal. I felt stuck. Then, something shifted. Well, a lot of things shifted. I decided that I could make the choice to build the life of my dreams. And I did. I left a lucrative job that I hated to become a yoga teacher and a writer. I abandoned a ten-year long abusive relationship, deciding that I’d rather be alone than with the wrong person. I relocated from Connecticut to Pennsylvania. I made new friends, got into therapy, took the steps to construct a life worth living, and the result was that for the first time in as long as I could remember I valued my life enough to want to live it.

As I hurtled towards the earth, I thought back to the days when waking up was a hellish ordeal, when I prayed each night for the sweet release of death. What happened to that person? She’d gone away without me even realizing it. Somewhere along the way, I had emancipated myself from my pain.

“Pull,” the instructor shouted.

I obeyed, tugging down on the ripcord. The parachute deployed. I felt the small upward tug as our parachute lifted us further towards the sky. Our decent slowed. We began to coast. I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that we were safe, that all was going to be okay. I loved my life. Ironically, I realized just how precious my life has become to me only by being willing to risk it. That dangerous leap at 10,000 feet revealed to me that my life today is precious.

I’m so glad that I took my first leap of faith four years ago. Acting on the hope that there might be something beyond my depression, I changed my entire life for the better. I’m equally glad that I went skydiving. I don’t think I’d have realized just how in love with my awesome life I am had I not taken flight and lived to tell about it.

Thank you so much for writing this inspiring story that I know can give others the hope they need that dark days can lead to bright ones.

Your words and thoughts are so important. We appreciate your contribution to our mission: "Changing the World, One Story at a Time"

- Rebecca A. Thiegs
Stageoflife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:49:14 PM

On behalf of the entire editorial team at StageofLife.com, I would like to officially congratulate you for your winning essay for our August Writing Contest: Moments of Awesomeness for the On My Own stage of life.

We will be contacting you via your registration email.

Congratulations, again for adding your voice to our mission of "Changing the World, One Story at a Time"

Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:22:00 PM