STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Being Undecided

AsiaStewart
Mrs. Morales asked, “Asia, what do you what to be when you grow up?” Sitting in my little red plastic chair at the coloring table I thoughtfully considered this question while I nibbled on the back of my pink Crayola crayon. While I was chewing on my crayon, other students were following the directions on the worksheet entitled, “When I Grow Up I Want To Be…”. They busily moved their crayons back and forth as they drew pictures of their future selves. My page was left blank.

After Mrs. Morales walked away I had some time to consider what I really wanted to do. I couldn’t exclude everything I loved from the 7’’ by 5’’ rectangular box on my paper. So after some time I drew a stick figure with one pink ballet shoe, one flipper, draped in the Wonderwoman cape and dressed in a white doctor’s coat, with a firefighter’s hat, astronaut helmet, princess crown, chef hat, and a microphone and gavel in hand. My endowed stick figure also had two houses, one in Hollywood and the other White. So, as a five year old I aspired to be a ballerina-swimmer-superhero-doctor-firefighter-astronaut-princess-cook-singer-lawyer-actress-president.

I felt quite accomplished that I had drawn so much by nap time. But when Mrs. Morales returned to check my drawing she wasn’t as proud of my work as I was. My chubby fingers did their best to draw everything onto the small box upon the page. But Mrs. Morales said that I had simply scribbled all over the paper, because I couldn’t think of anything to draw. She drew a big S- on my paper, reminding me that next time, I should really listen to directions and only draw one thing. Outraged that Mrs. Morales would dare give me an unsatisfactory mark I cried all the way home from my bus into my grandmother’s waiting arms. After blubbering to her about how upset the minus sign made me feel, she patted my knee and said kindly, “You can do anything, if you set your mind to it.” I was cheered by her words and resolved to set my mind to doing truly everything.

As I grew older, I obstinately held steadfast to all of my future dreams. It wasn’t until I took my first PSAT when I realized that my indecisiveness was problematic. Before you can begin the test, you must select the number code which corresponds to your perceived college major. Given only one minute to choose, I began to panic. How does CollegeBoard expect anyone to define the course of study of college by picking only one three- digit code? My scrolling eyes stopped at Ethnic, Cultural Minority, Gender and Group Studies, number 142. But then I glimpsed English Language and Literature, number 520. My pencil paused, but I decided to continue looking. As I looked further down the list I saw more and more majors, all which seemed appealing. I hesitated after reaching Legal studies, Social Sciences and Music, numbers 550, 880 and 950. I tapped my pencil to my chin, but my hands couldn’t move to mark the paper.The aspiring ballerina-swimmer-superhero-doctor-firefighter-astronaut-princess-cook-singer-lawyer-actress-president was certainly pleased, but the student about to take the PSAT had only fifteen seconds left to decide upon a major. I quickly asked the proctor, “Did the option for Other, number 990, at the bottom of the page include all of the above?” She sourly shook her head and pointed her index finger to the Undecided option, number 999, below, which my left hand had covered. The only choice I could make, was to make no choice. After considering this option for a few more seconds as others started the exam, I selected Undecided.

As college approaches, I now realize that I can’t select Undecided throughout my lifetime, or do absolutely everything. When completing a multiple choice question, one can’t select choices a,b,c,d and e, or else the question will be answered incorrectly. Similarly, I now realize that I will only be able to live my life to its highest potential when I decide what I truly want to do. Beyond recognizing that in the wasted moments I spent lingering over possible college majors, I could’ve used in finishing some basic skipped standardized math questions, my mailbox and email are now so constantly flooded with information from almost every single college in America. The recipient of details on hundreds of college majors, I am certain that if I continue to live an undecided life, my life will only become as cluttered as my AOL account that currently holds 1246 emails. Recalling the young girl at her kindergarten table, I am reminded of my grandmother’s words. “You can do anything, if you set your mind to it.” But instead I now know that yes, I can do anything once I set my mind to it, but not everything.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy