Home.

batmanic
With my future rapidly closing in on me, I have been forced to put my big girl pants on and really take a look at what I want to do with my life. I mean, I'm going to enjoy my final year of college, but I should probably put some sort of work into what my next step is.

Especially because the next step I want to take is a huge one.

This afternoon, my only class of the day (Shakespeare) was cancelled, so I slid my finished essay (all about the wily Duke of Buckingham in Richard III) under my professor's door, went to fill my car with gas, and then went to the market to do my weekly grocery shopping.

I meandered through the aisles, and eventually made my way to the international foods aisle, where I usually stock up on organic instant udon. Don't judge me - I live alone and have the cooking abilities of a rock.

However, before I could reach the noodles, I saw a familiar purple box out of the corner of my eye. I turned slowly to see a section of the aisle I had never seen before - the British section. And sitting on a shelf, beckoning me, were boxes of Cadbury chocolate treats.

Nostalgia made me pick up two boxes of the stuff, despite the fact that I am on an organic diet. I had to ignore my conscience for the time being. Because Cadbury is just one of many things that reminds me of London.

I only spend six weeks there in the summer of 2011, but I fell in love with it (and England as a whole) anyway. The culture, the atmosphere, the people, the food, the sights, the sounds - I loved everything. I didn't even care when it rained and I loathe rain. Ever since I got on the plane to come back to America I've wanted to go back.

After spending three hours reminiscing and going through my pictures, I have determined something. In May, my college years will be over. And someday in the future, preferably in the next few years (few being anywhere from 2-10) I want to move to England. I'll probably visit again first (to scope stuff out, and my parents want to go along as well, so we are saving up) but I want to end up there, somehow.

It's going to be a lot of hard work, I know. And since I want to be a comic book writer - which isn't the most lucrative field, nor is it easy to even get a job in the industry - getting the funds in place is going to be hard. But I want it so bad, i can taste it - and it tastes like Cadbury.

I remember when I was younger, I really didn't have any idea where I wanted to live - what I wanted to do. I mean, when I was six I wanted to grow up and be an otter. Clearly I've never been the best at assessing my future.

But I know that I want this, so I'm going to try my hardest to make it happen. I'm going to research my options. Maybe I'll end up going to grad school there, or finding an internship or some other work opportunity. Maybe I'll meet a rich old British guy and fall in love. I don't know what will happen after I get my diploma next spring, but I'm going to try and forge out a future that will suit me, and make me happy. I just hope that future contains tea and scones, spelling words with an "ou" instead of just an "o," and life in a tiny cottage out in the countryside, or a flat in the city.

I suppose only time and determination will tell.

Comment by batmanic

Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 7:08:04 PM
Comment by michness

There are a lot of great programs you could get into to work in England. My roommate did an internship in London for four months and looooooved it. If you're looking for something longer term though I imagine there are travel abroad places to help with that too! :)
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2012 10:04:19 AM
Comment by Justina

It's always the right time for chocolate. :P Nice move on the Cadbury choco treats. And I wish you good luck with your comic book career! I think that is an awesome profession, and I actually have a friend who published one (he hired an independent illustrator to draw everything, and I think he may have self-published?), so I think it's very possible that you can get into it. :D Good luck!
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:16:15 AM