My Passion Issue: Knowledge is Power

melissa.duffy
In today’s world politics are not trending topics on Twitter or at the top of Facebook newsfeed. Most teenagers are oblivious to the issues that are being discussed at the 2012 election. This is a shame because the future of the United States government will greatly impact students of all ages, but most directly affect college students. This is the stage in their lives when they can first participate in an election and elect someone to office that will be there for the duration of their college experience. My parents did not discuss politics in my house, but college students need to be more involved in politics and have a president that will work towards making teenagers aware of the issues that are affecting the world.

Dinner table conversations usually do not entail politicians or current events. At my house, politics were not a subject that was brought up often and if it was, it was only between my parents. I was not informed of all the issues and what I did know I learned from school assignments and research projects. Although my parents did not talk to me about politics, this allowed me to form my own opinions on issues and develop my beliefs as a citizen.

College students have a lot to stress about, and politics are not something that crosses their minds a lot. Most students are unaware of what is happening with the economy and the political positions.. College students do not realize the cost of being unconscious of the government and what is occurring in it. Without knowing the facts, students will not know which candidate agrees with their viewpoints for an educated vote. Teenagers will be greatly impacted by the future president because he will be the one to set up the future that the students will be living in.

Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, have been in the public eye a lot in the last four years. The big difference between them and past presidential families is that the Obama’s are bringing the politics to the children. Michelle Obama has guest starred on several children shows and worked on her own campaign to help children. The family is more modern and gains the interest of the younger generations. By being more relatable,

Barack Obama has made politics come into the media and made it more conversational.
Teenagers should want a president that will keep them in the loop and work towards finding what is best for their future. Learning what is going on in the present will help decide what is better for our country in the future. College students need to pay attention to politics and be more involved so they know who they are electing to lead them. They have the right to vote and need to exercise that right in an educated way. Barack Obama will get the younger generations more involved in politics and lead them into a more educated future.
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has selected as one of the semi-finalists for our political "Passion Issue" student writing contest. We'll be picking the winner within the next two weeks (our final judging phase is taking place on the finalists now by our Editorial team).

Please check the summary page as we'll be announcing the Runners-Up and Winner later this month: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandPolitics.aspx

Thanks so much for entering the writing contest and blogging on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your essays!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:40:41 PM