STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Passion Issue: Knowledge is Power

melissa.duffy
In today’s world politics are not trending topics on Twitter or at the top of Facebook newsfeed. Most teenagers are oblivious to the issues that are being discussed at the 2012 election. This is a shame because the future of the United States government will greatly impact students of all ages, but most directly affect college students. This is the stage in their lives when they can first participate in an election and elect someone to office that will be there for the duration of their college experience. My parents did not discuss politics in my house, but college students need to be more involved in politics and have a president that will work towards making teenagers aware of the issues that are affecting the world.

Dinner table conversations usually do not entail politicians or current events. At my house, politics were not a subject that was brought up often and if it was, it was only between my parents. I was not informed of all the issues and what I did know I learned from school assignments and research projects. Although my parents did not talk to me about politics, this allowed me to form my own opinions on issues and develop my beliefs as a citizen.

College students have a lot to stress about, and politics are not something that crosses their minds a lot. Most students are unaware of what is happening with the economy and the political positions.. College students do not realize the cost of being unconscious of the government and what is occurring in it. Without knowing the facts, students will not know which candidate agrees with their viewpoints for an educated vote. Teenagers will be greatly impacted by the future president because he will be the one to set up the future that the students will be living in.

Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, have been in the public eye a lot in the last four years. The big difference between them and past presidential families is that the Obama’s are bringing the politics to the children. Michelle Obama has guest starred on several children shows and worked on her own campaign to help children. The family is more modern and gains the interest of the younger generations. By being more relatable,

Barack Obama has made politics come into the media and made it more conversational.
Teenagers should want a president that will keep them in the loop and work towards finding what is best for their future. Learning what is going on in the present will help decide what is better for our country in the future. College students need to pay attention to politics and be more involved so they know who they are electing to lead them. They have the right to vote and need to exercise that right in an educated way. Barack Obama will get the younger generations more involved in politics and lead them into a more educated future.
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has selected as one of the semi-finalists for our political "Passion Issue" student writing contest. We'll be picking the winner within the next two weeks (our final judging phase is taking place on the finalists now by our Editorial team).

Please check the summary page as we'll be announcing the Runners-Up and Winner later this month: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandPolitics.aspx

Thanks so much for entering the writing contest and blogging on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your essays!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:40:41 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy