My Passion Issue: Support for a Prosperous America

rosieq
I have always taken the stance that where politics has the opportunity to make a positive difference to my present, moreover my future, it is my responsibility to understand the issues at hand and vote accordingly to ensure I have a say in what lies ahead for my country and for me. America is amid the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression of the 1930s. If the next candidate voted in does not improve our current situation, lasting effects will be seen in all aspects of life. This will not only cause immediate backlash but will be prevalent for my generation for years to come. It will affect our social rights, such as abortion, to the status of the job market awaiting us upon completion of college.

I am able to approach both political parties with a relatively unbiased view, due to having no parental influences towards either candidate. This does, however, highlight the obvious bias seen in much of the media, and it is often hard not to let this affect your views. For example, after viewing a very antiRepublican broadcast, your perspective is involuntarily questioned even if the information you are given is false. Media bias aside, Obama has a stronger agenda, is pro-choice, wants to enforce more gun control, and most importantly believes that more federal power is necessary.

Although I am not swayed by my parents politically, the economy and job market is often discussed between us while exploring the effects that can already be seen and the changes that will occur due to different party policies. I personally think that with the severity of this crisis, as a nation, we will not be able to overcome it under small state governments. I believe a large, strong federal government will be key in any progress we hope to achieve. This year 760,000 jobs have been lost. Although it is highly likely this number will grow, a plan needs to be put into place that in time will take us in the opposite direction. We need to create jobs within America and not ship jobs overseas. The democrats have already created 4.5 million jobs, and their agenda will generate more, which is vital for the economic situation to be turned around. I believe that Obama’s approach will ameliorate the job market, which is important for me upon finishing at university. He also plans to increase funding for education, which will not only affect me but will affect all years to come.

I side with Obama because I support gay rights, believe in social justice, and fiscal responsibility. I believe they are the party who will best aid us in continuing on the path to prosperity. I fail to see how in this progressive day and age a party can be against gay marriage and abortion and on a larger scale how we can come out of our current economic situation stronger without the aid of a more prevalent central government.