STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Looking Cool and College Rules

SavannahtheHuman
So I’ve been here at college for almost a week now. And it’s been great. I love my roommate, my room looks like a princess fairy garden, I live on the quietest floor in the building, life is just dandy. I have noticed some things about college life in general, though. And, being the remarkably kind person I am, I have decided to share them along with my personal insight.

1) College kids are perverts. Yup. It’s just that simple. My friend Hope learned this the hard way when she accidentally changed in front of an open window and was greeted by waves from passers-by below.

2) Girls have forgotten how to dress. It’s terribly sad. For those of you in the same boat, let me lay out the rules for you. Leggings do not, nor will they ever qualify as pants. No one wants to see your butt bouncing all the way to class, no matter what size or race you are. Also, your boobies need to stay under your shirt. They make for enormous distractions.

3) Food = friends. I baked cookies for my building the other day, and now I will meet up with a borderline stranger in the hallway who knows my name and thanks me for the taste of heaven that was my cookies. It’s kind of fantastic being treated like royalty.

4) Appear confident, even if you aren’t; you won’t get pegged as a freshman that way. It’s that simple. In fact, I’ve had to lead several freshmen around campus myself, even though I wasn’t sure where my own next class was. It’s just as I mentioned in my previous blog (which you can read here: http://goo.gl/uVDAL) – it’s all about looking the part. Another facet of this is the lanyard. I purposefully got rid of the lanyard they very day I received it. Like I said, you’ve got to look the part, and a lanyard isn’t part of it.

5) There’s no part of the face that can’t be pierced. Where there’s skin and rebellion, there can be a piercing. End of story.

6) You’re not the only one. In anything. And I mean just about anything. There’s always another kid who loves that band no one else has ever heard of or shares your obsession with breakfast food or wants to ask the professor a question that might be stupid. The limit to the number of wild characters and quirky oddballs does not exist.

7) Mistakes and bad decisions happen. They just do. And there’s little you can do prevent such things from happening except maybe wish really hard on your lucky stars. You stay up too late goofing off with some awesome kid, you lose a syllabus, you make an out-of-place remark, it just happens. And afterwards, life goes on.

So there you have it. Savannah’s college experience so far. My plans are definitely subject to change, but for now, the goal is as follows: learn a lot, dress right, try to avoid mistakes, and never ever get caught in a lanyard. Easy Peasy….I hope.
Rate this:
Comment by nellyfloyd

I just started college and I agree with you on everything! Well written!
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:28:46 PM
Rate this:
Comment by NateD

It's funny, regarding #4, a college I once visited had a billboard hanging on the wall of the upperclassmen's dorms with the heading "How to Spot a Freshman" and a bulleted list of telling signs. Two of which you mentioned - The flustered, insecure appearance, and wearing a lanyard.
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:05:48 PM
Rate this:
Comment by kburns421

I love this list! You nailed it, especially with the looking confident part. Whenever I would get lost on campus, I would just keep walking like absolutely nothing was wrong until I figured out where I was.
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:47:44 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Awesome post! Sharing on my blog. Loved it :-)
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:48:48 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Himanshu12

As for your information if you are the user of windows 10 operating system then here you will learn to use windows 10 alarm from our tutorial and do it step by steps to get the reminder for your work on time.
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:35:34 AM
Rate this:
Comment by kakbrus

Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work!. Thank you for this wonderful Article! five nights at freddy's
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:50:41 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy