Dear University of Tampa Board: Let's Get Fit

kristinc77
Dear University of Tampa Board: Lets Get Fit

New dietary restrictions in the setting of a learning institution have become a growing trend across the nation. Through the effort of limiting sugary foods and drinks in the school setting this is working towards lowering the childhood obesity rate in America. Young children are not the only victims to the harm of weight gain. The “Freshman Fifteen”, a reference to when average college Freshman gains fifteen or more pounds in their first year of college because of the new lifestyle. College is an experience of tremendous change for young adults, especially dealing with unlimited food access so conveniently day and night.
The biggest danger of this access is that most colleges struggle to provide healthy options of food. Healthy choices are often expensive, and go to waste. The only option to tackling this growing unhealthy lifestyle is not only providing better food which is clearly challenging. Providing more gym access, a better environment for staying fit would also lead to healthier lifestyles.
It is truly a shame that here at University of Tampa we have beautiful facilities from our dorms, chapel, even to our pristine grounds keeping; but one thing doesn’t fit in- our gym. It is very difficult for students to be dedicated to stay fit when the gym is constantly packed because it is so small. Our university is growing every semester and so are our stomachs! I personally watch how I eat and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Yet, McNiff, our gym, is becoming a growing concern. Working out is difficult to even begin when I have to wait for every machine, that rarely function properly!
This unsatisfactory gym is not fitting for our Nationally-ranked NCAA Division II athletes here at University of Tampa. If we want to continue to excel in sports the athletes deserves a satisfactory work environment. Our baseball team was the NCAA Division II National Champions Spring 2013. One would be surprised to see our students achieve such tremendous athletic feats based on our gym!
College students carry enough stress daily between balancing classes, social lives, jobs, and planning out their future. A proven stress reliever is exercising. There is no better way for a student to clear their mind of the endless textbooks than hitting the gym. This form of stress relief is not only efficient but also helps develop a healthier lifestyle and body.
I understand that at our University there are likely many different problems that require revenue to either maintain or upgrade; but having a gym that entices students to exercise is vital. The tuition students pay at this private institution deserves the benefits of a quality gym. As a student myself, I know I deserve the opportunity to have a gym to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It is crucial our nationally ranked private learning institution focuses on this problem immediately. By following through with these actions we will have happier students because they will be healthy, and stress free.

Comment by kristinc77

Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:46:40 PM
Comment by Ultima Thule

When I was a student, I wasn't a poor victim. I was lazy and didn't want to learn, that's the truth. I used help with dissertation from the Internet very often. If it wasn't for these services, I wouldn't have graduated from University at all, that's for sure. However, now I'm a little sorry that I missed a lot.
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2020 3:44:13 PM