Media: Are we really using the internet, or is it vice versa?

ReliveBliss
The funny, ironic, and interesting thing is that I am submitting my response to this essay prompt via the computer. It is quite hard for me to imagine our future generations physically writing anymore because the internet has become such an important part of our lives. Our fast-paced society demands technology to be always moving at its fastest speed and to the best of its ability with little to no errors. But has anyone considered the toll the internet has taken on our lives? Technology is frightening. The utmost terrifying development ever created by man. I won't deny that I am a victim of the internet because I find myself drawn to these technologies in ways I never thought I would be. Social contact has decreased because with cellphones, texting, video chatting. who needs to see people face to face anymore? I fear that people will soon forget what voices sound like and what people really look like because we can read a text message in a second and see photoshopped pictures. I know many people will argue and say that the internet has benefitted us in many ways. I don't completely disagree; however, ask anyone and even ask yourself: are we really using the internet or are we just being used by the internet? I know that sounds crazy but that is really how I feel about all these new programs and apps. Who's more dependent on what? Have we gone a day without touching technology? Can we and do we even have the ability to give up technology? I don't think so. When I was 7 and got my first computer, I never imagined I would spend more than an hour on it. Now look at me. Teachers encourage us to use the internet for homework assignments and communication with them. Our parents nag us to call or text them with our nifty cellphones. We even talk to our friends through the internet and sites like Twitter and Facebook. We've gone too far and our technology is actually taking control over us. Believe it. Fear it.
Comment by michness

ReliveBliss,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle

It sounds like a scene right out of Terminator! lol But I agree with you. I have heard that some school districts aren't even teaching cursive writing anymore?! Technology is like most things, too much of anything can become a bad thing. Maybe it is up to us to realize that even with the fast pace and development of technology, we need to consider measured course to preserve our integrity and social balance. Great essay!
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:25:18 AM