Get Up

MariaRose
"Get up, get up, get up."

These two words, said three times, have become my Friday night mantra. Regardless of the uniform you wear, I say it every time. "Get up, get up, get up".

It is not something said in a menacing tone, a calloused call to suck it up and get back in the game. As a student athletic trainer, I would far rather you be honest with me and my bosses and say you're hurt when you are, rather than risk further injury by playing the tough guy. No, I say "get up" because I worry you won't. I see the odd angles at which you land, hear the painful cracks of colliding helmets and feel every breathless second when no one on the sidelines is sure you’ll be standing.

I try not to think about what may happen if you don't rise, or rather, what has that is keeping you down. I try not to think about the one in a million, the spinal cord tears, the sudden cardiac arrests, the severe brain injuries. I tell myself that it may be a cramp, a break or just a brutally hard hit - that you may be hurt today or next week but not forever, that you may miss a game but not a graduation.

And I know as well that you know such horrible injuries happen; you watch ESPN. I know you know you're risking yourselves, but I also know, at least in my hometown, that football is not just about the game. In the hands of coaches such as ours, it is also about who you will be when your time on the team has passed. As much as stats and scores and starting positions matter now, they will not in ten years. What will still be significant is how you earned those numbers, if you won with honor and lost with humility, and if you built others up while sometimes tackling them down.

I know this brotherhood is priceless, that you could never abandon it, that any physical pain is worth the pride that comes from playing and the lessons you learn in between. As an observer on the outside I simply ask - please, get up, get up, get up.
Comment by dannyjones

What a creative idea in your mind??I very happy to go through this story...
Please share more story like this. After I go through this story I am getting interested in writing, after a few month, I got a job in MW Solutions with a good remuneration package.
Thanks for this story. This story made my life...

Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 9:20:38 AM