STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Hyocrisy in the Syria Debate

awdavis2014
I'll get my own opinion out of the way early in this piece: I don't think the United States should intervene militarily in Syria. But as much as I believe in non-interventionism, I'm angered by the hypocrisy I've seen from certain non-interventionists.

When I refer to these "certain non-interventionists," I speak mostly of the "tcot" (top conservatives on Twitter) crowd, a group of conservative Twitter users, the most vocal of which are typically the most extreme. Now when I use the term "hypocrisy," I'm not talking about the fact that many of these newly converted doves were hawks under the Bush administration; I accept that people evolve in their viewpoints. I'm writing to address some of the conspiracy theories that have popped up surrounding Obama's proposals on Syria. Some of these gems include the ideas that Obama is suggesting a strike against Syria to distract from the worst terrorist attack of the century-BENGHAZI!-or to distract from the sinister Communist plot known as Obamacare. Many have speculated that there were no chemical weapons used, even though American, French, German, and British intelligence all concluded that they were. And if you think you might find some information to support these claims in the American media, forget about it! They've reached the obvious conclusion that the "lame stream media" is controlled by the U.S. government.

So who do they turn to in order to validate their own viewpoints? They turn to the likes of Glenn Beck and other minor celebrities in the world of the American Far Right. They turn to memes-empty, of course, of any real intellectual content- that they make themselves. But here's my favorite: Some have turned to Russia Today, a news organization run by the notoriously authoritarian Russian government.This is the glaring hypocrisy of American Tea Party types when it comes to the Syria debate: They call out what they see as bias in the main stream media, then retreat to a bubble of one-sided stories from completely biased sources.

The argument against intervention in Syria is strong enough to stand on its own. Opponents of intervention only hurt their own cause by reverting to conspiracy theories, biased sources, and name-calling tactics. If non-interventionists on the American Right and throughout the American political spectrum want to be taken seriously, they need to divorce themselves from this lunatic fringe.

Rate this:
Comment by michness

Agree 10,000%!
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 1:38:26 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy