Hyocrisy in the Syria Debate

awdavis2014
I'll get my own opinion out of the way early in this piece: I don't think the United States should intervene militarily in Syria. But as much as I believe in non-interventionism, I'm angered by the hypocrisy I've seen from certain non-interventionists.

When I refer to these "certain non-interventionists," I speak mostly of the "tcot" (top conservatives on Twitter) crowd, a group of conservative Twitter users, the most vocal of which are typically the most extreme. Now when I use the term "hypocrisy," I'm not talking about the fact that many of these newly converted doves were hawks under the Bush administration; I accept that people evolve in their viewpoints. I'm writing to address some of the conspiracy theories that have popped up surrounding Obama's proposals on Syria. Some of these gems include the ideas that Obama is suggesting a strike against Syria to distract from the worst terrorist attack of the century-BENGHAZI!-or to distract from the sinister Communist plot known as Obamacare. Many have speculated that there were no chemical weapons used, even though American, French, German, and British intelligence all concluded that they were. And if you think you might find some information to support these claims in the American media, forget about it! They've reached the obvious conclusion that the "lame stream media" is controlled by the U.S. government.

So who do they turn to in order to validate their own viewpoints? They turn to the likes of Glenn Beck and other minor celebrities in the world of the American Far Right. They turn to memes-empty, of course, of any real intellectual content- that they make themselves. But here's my favorite: Some have turned to Russia Today, a news organization run by the notoriously authoritarian Russian government.This is the glaring hypocrisy of American Tea Party types when it comes to the Syria debate: They call out what they see as bias in the main stream media, then retreat to a bubble of one-sided stories from completely biased sources.

The argument against intervention in Syria is strong enough to stand on its own. Opponents of intervention only hurt their own cause by reverting to conspiracy theories, biased sources, and name-calling tactics. If non-interventionists on the American Right and throughout the American political spectrum want to be taken seriously, they need to divorce themselves from this lunatic fringe.

Comment by michness

Agree 10,000%!
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 1:38:26 PM