Empty Nest and Retirement Blog Archive

The Green Thing - Environmentalism for Baby Boomers

Posted by: Ruth on 12/10/2011

I received one of those "forwarded" emails from a friend the other day.

I often delete those types of emails, but this particular one contained a unique (and humorous) point of view about being "green" today verses what we Baby Boomers remember from our parents' and grandparents' generations.

Read on...here's the email I received...

The Green Thing

A Note Of Thanks...From The Editor!

Posted by: DarkStar49 on 11/22/2011

It's hard to believe we are once again at the time of year when thanks, gratitude and sharing with others is on our minds! I wanted to take a moment to share two things. The first is a story that has stuck in my mind and probably will for the rest of my life.

Needs vs Wants

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 11/20/2011

Today’s Sunday newspaper is full of ads, articles on e-readers, and Black Friday. I really want an e-reader, and a new camera, and the new dance Wii game. I really want new clothes as the ones I have don’t fit me like I’d like them to. I tell my friends that I’ve grown up but my clothes haven’t. They are still immature. I want new pillows to brighten up my living room. I want, want, want… And yes, I just noticed that I didn’t list any “I need”.

Don’t Give Your Kids Your New Address

Posted by: NancyMyMoves on 11/09/2011

When you read that headline, did you say to yourself, “Oh, I would never do that!” Think again. If you move and don’t tell them, it’s not like you’ll never see them again. You’ll crash their pads and you can stay in touch via technology and social media. Just don’t post any pictures on Facebook because your kids will look for clues to your whereabouts. What made me start thinking about this was a friend’s recent ex... Read More

30-50% of Adults Snore... I am one of them.

Posted by: Walt on 11/04/2011

I'm not going to deny it, I snore. I started looking into my annoying habit and found a great article from Sleepy's about snoring and the importance of a good nights sleep.

If you are like me and suffer from snoring, you might be interested in seeing what they have to say...

Between

Posted by: pammlofton on 10/23/2011

Our youngest lovely comes home every Wednesday night from her house downtown with several of her college buddies to eat a home cooked meal. I spend the entire day preparing a healthy offering and look forward to their arrival. The Husband and I truly enjoy these Wednesday night gatherings and we wonder where the time has gone.

Food For Thought

Posted by: DarkStar49 on 10/12/2011

One of the best things that could have ever happened to me was my mom teaching me to cook at a young age. Not only was it fun, and a good bonding experience, it helped me with self preservation and survival after I had moved out on my own! It wasn’t very often that you would find me having less than my own home cooked meal as an independent single living in my apartment. In fact, my pad was the home to my friends and cousin of such weekly rituals as ‘taco feed’ nite with homemade spanish ric... Read More

Time Thief?

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 10/09/2011

A dear friend asked me why I didn’t post a blog last Sunday and I answered, “I didn’t have time.” That comment has haunted me ever since I wrote her that. Because it was true and it shouldn’t be. So….I want know who did it. Who stole time away from me? And don’t blame my age. Age has nothing to do with it.

The House That Grew

Posted by: DarkStar49 on 10/04/2011

Today, my wife and I drove past the house and didn’t even recognize them! My immediate thought: “who are those kids….they must have moved in recently.” My wife’s thought: “OMG! Those kids have seriously grown up!” Reality dictates, they are the same kids, with the same parents, and the same house….just a span of time and some growing up, since….

Empty Nest and Technology

Posted by: pammlofton on 09/29/2011

I used to laugh at that saying, "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." Well, now that I'm older, I'm not laughing nearly as much. Especially when my lack of good sense causes me to do stupid things. Or to not do smart things.

Two-Stepping Back the Time

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 08/28/2011

I went country-western dancing again last Sunday evening with a group of young savvy senior singles. I had a blast again. Sundays are when the older set goes dancing, you know. It’s fun watching the old folks get out on the dance floor especially since they haven’t gotten the message that they’re old yet. Women still dress to please men there. One woman caught my eye as she colorfully two-stepped across the dance floor in her tight sequined pants and shimmering turquoise top. She looked... Read More

You're out of school how long?

Posted by: yinglink on 08/06/2011

I went to the library to borrow a book for an upcoming weekend getaway. As I was leaving, I saw a mom coming in with her three young children. I overheard the oldest daughter say, “Megan has ten more years of school and Caden has eight”.
I started remembering how going to school was all there was, and how long it seemed until I would finally be done. I figured that little girl would be amazed if I said, “Well, it’s been more than ten years since I’ve finished going to school”.

Washer/Dryer Blues

Posted by: yinglink on 08/04/2011

I lost two old, faithful friends recently – the original washer and dryer my husband and I purchased shortly after we were married.
That dear couple provided services to me without complaint or error for twenty-seven years. They did their work behind the scenes in unpretentious places like unfinished basements and the rear of the family bathroom.

False Advertising for Exercise Class

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 07/17/2011

Okay, I am making this my official charge of misrepresentation and false advertising by a local rec center. This summer I had decided it was time for me to get physically fit. Please note that I did not end that sentence with “again”. Not with my history of being one of the few to have flunked gym class in the 60’s thanks to President Kennedy’s national fitness program. No way could I do twenty-five push ups, five chin-ups and scurry up some darn rope back then! I’d lost most of my baby f... Read More

In The Year 2525

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 06/12/2011

I have never been a science fiction fan but I always loved the 1969 hit song, In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans. I occasionally hear it on the oldies but goodies stations and I always find myself tapping my feet, swaying my hips and singing along off-key with gusto. Not the best visual for a woman of my age, I know and possibly dangerous if I’m driving which I usually am when listening to the radio.

Walking, Talking Oxymoron.

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 06/05/2011

Per Jane Glenn Haas’s column today, there are 77 million of us baby boomers who are reaching 65 and will be altering life as we know it in the United States. Wow! And here I thought I was unique – one of a kind. According to her, we baby boomers who have settled in the West and Sun Belt areas are part of the “silver tsunami”. I don’t appreciate being coined with that phase for several reasons. Most of us prefer to disguise the silver, men included, and more importantly, I can’t shake the ... Read More

Post-Memorial Day Reflection

Posted by: bugcandy on 06/01/2011

In response to Greg's editor question in the Empty Nest/Retirement Stage, I wanted to share my observation from Memorial Day.

Here's what I wrote in my journal on Monday morning...

Blog Day Lessons

Posted by: BettyBoomer on 05/30/2011

My Sunday “B” day has been temporarily moved to Monday because I had an expired license renewal sticker on my car. Actually I’ve had the new sticker for over a month but never bothered to put it on the car windshield. It was one of those “I’ll do it tomorrow” types of things. After all, the current one on the car wasn’t expired until the end of April.

A letter to my dreams

Posted by: Shebajc on 03/17/2011

Dear Dreams,

I'm not talking to the skeletons I saw in a waking sleep after watching Prom Night as a pre-teen. I'm not talking to the ever-changing, rambling maze of a house that I frequently visit in my nocturnal excursions. I'm talking to my goals and aspirations. Specifically, what I want to be when I grow up. Where are you, and why have you always been so elusive?

Goal Setting for Baby Boomers

Posted by: Walt on 12/29/2010

To kick off the New Year, I wanted to share Stage of Life's free, universal goal setting worksheet for Baby Boomers in the Empty Nest or Retirement life stages.

Whether you use it as your "New Year's Resolution To-Do" list or as a tool to kick off fresh start with your life, this 10-step worksheet will help get you proactively thinking about the goals, possibilities and opportunities ahead.

Read More

Parental influence to get out and vote.

Posted by: DarkStar49 on 10/30/2010

A recent conversation with my son reminded me that although he is on his own, sometimes as a parent, I still feel the need to nudge him and guide him in the right direction. We try to remain neutral as much as possible and allow him to make some mistakes….how else do we learn if not from that of our mistakes?! But the comment he made somewhat hit home a point that I feel is important. Simply, exercising the right and responsibility to vote.

The Trail That Never Was

Posted by: DarkStar49 on 09/29/2010

Being a featured writer for Stage Of Life, I often find myself through my days looking at instances, situations, emotions and potential stories, and thinking: “how does this relate to a certain stage of life?” Often times I see myself reflecting that answer to: “I am at the stage of life where I….”. I am not sure if this was the original intention of the founders of the site, but somehow think they would agree! One stage I find particularly fascinating, in that respect, is the ‘Empty Nest’ s... Read More

Empty Nest, feathers everywhere!!

Posted by: justcallmemom on 09/27/2010

Well, the day arrived, we took our youngest to college and left her there.
On the way home, I cried, but not too much because the next weekend was Labor Day and we would be picking her up for a trip out of state.

The Frugal Years: Flight Of The Dependent

Posted by: DarkStar49 on 09/21/2010

Throughout the years, my wife and I were both self employed and earned the reputation that we 'worked hard, and played hard'. Where we are living now, my wife has a job primarily at home getting paid salary and myself still very much self employed. Where we are now, we live in a better financial playing field with both the economy as well as our personal finances, yet, these days since our nest has become more spacious the trend seems to be: 'work hard and pinch the pennies'!

Do You Have Enough Money Saved for Retirement...Many of Us Probably Don't

Posted by: Walt on 07/13/2010

Did you see the segment on having enough money saved for retirement on The Today Show this morning? Wow...enlightening (and scary if you're not prepared).

This is a must watch video for every Gen X'er and Baby Boomer out there - it's got some very interesting statistics! Watch the Today Show video clip about running out of retirement funds.

<<Prev  2 of 3    Next>>

Featured Empty Nest and Retirement Bloggers

Baby Boomers share thoughts on empty nest and retirement.

Contact Stage of Life as a Featured BloggerBefore reading the below essays submitted by our featured bloggers...

Do you write?  Do you have your own blog?  Do you want a national venue to share your thoughts and advice?  Contact Us if you want to be considered as a Featured Blogger on Stage of Life in the Empty Nest or Retirement stage.