On a Scale of One to "Laying Sod"...

Suzanne
When my husband considers a DIY project that is going to be challenging he tries to encourage my participation by saying that it will be “easier than laying sod.” Over the years that phrase has become a euphemism to describe the level of physical difficulty we are about to encounter. It got its origins when we were in our early forties and had a pool built in our back yard. Heavy machinery destroyed all of the grass on the side of the house and we decided to replace it ourselves. How hard could it be? The answer to that question is – never again!

My capable husband has tackled almost everything from replacing a toilet to fixing a pool leak and has always been fairly handy around the house. He does not believe in paying to have something done that you can do for yourself. I understand that mentality and feel the same way when it comes to most things. But, the difference between he and I is that I am realistic about my limitations.

When he suggested that we should move our daughter’s belongings into her new apartment I asked the obvious question – “on a scale of one to laying sod, how difficult is this going to be?" "About a seven," was his answer. Fifteen years ago I would have agreed without hesitation to take on the task. But, the last time we moved furniture I vowed that it would be the last time. If he had said three or four I might have considered it, but seven! No way! Not going to happen! I made a strong argument during my protest using the medical bills that would follow as leverage. After a while he acquiesced and started calling moving companies.

Estimates came in at resounding prices for 1 bed, 1 dresser, 2 night stands, a sofa, a few boxes, 2 guys, 1 truck and 2 hours driving time. Maybe I should reconsider. Did I mention there were stairs involved?

With X amount of dollars to devote to relocation expenses, painting, additional furnishings, etc. we would be bumping the top of our budget by using professionals for such a small move. I knew I had to cut a deal.

When all was said and done, we ended up with two guys at each end of the job and a truck (that we drove) for about half the price of the original quote. We spent three days cleaning and painting (something within my ability) before the furniture arrived and managed to incur only minor aches, pains and bruises from moving a mattress up a flight of stairs.

Under budget and satisfied with our efforts I will now gladly admit – it really was only about a “five.”

You guys are hired! I wish you'd reconsider resodding work. Our lawn is gone.
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:32:43 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.