Friendships In Unlikely Places

Suzanne
Lately I have invited the most unlikely cast of characters into my life – a skydiver, a biking/hiking enthusiasts, a writer, a quilt maker and a frugal grandmother to name a few. They do not live in my hometown nor even close by. In fact, I have never met any of them face to face. They live in places like Oregon, Washington, Arizona, California, Texas and Hawaii. We have become acquainted via the blogosphere and visit each other regularly with the click of a mouse.

I never know exactly what to expect as I make my morning rounds to visit each of them – a daily devotion to ponder, a piece of retirement advice, motivation to get off the couch, DIY instructions, or photographs of breathtaking views in far away places. But I know I will be informed and challenged by each of them. My visits involve less time than it takes to finish my morning coffee and they leave me with much to consider.

What these bloggers have in common, and the thing that draws me to each of them is their passion for living and learning. They challenge me every day to consider what a “successful retirement” really means.

Social interaction with my “face to face” friends is important, but because I live in a fairly homogeneous community I tend to associate with people just like me. I largely look to them for companionship and entertainment and can honestly say that I don’t often learn from them. We generally share the same interests, political opinions, and lifestyles so conversations are fairly predictable.

The atmosphere of the blogosphere that I hang out in is fairly congenial and the people who visit my blog are polite and often encouraging with their comments. I behave likewise on theirs. I feel like most of the bloggers I read offer a realistic depiction of themselves as opposed to a “glossy” Facebook image. They are relatable as real people and I can picture myself sitting down to coffee with any one of them.

I have always found inspiration and have acquired knowledge in unlikely places so it comes as no surprise that stumbling into this arena has been gratifying in terms of my own personal growth. The budding friendships were a welcome surprise. I am learning that this stage of life holds many welcome surprises and I can’t wait to embrace each one of them as we continue on our journey.

What good surprises have you encountered during your retirement years?

Face it. Your problem is that you're nice, interesting, interested and sociable. How nice it would be if we could all have that problem.
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 1:45:44 PM
Comment by Suzanne

Warren, will you marry me? I realize you might want to ask your wife first! Thanks for your very generous comments.
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 6:08:20 PM
Comment by MelissaMargaret

Dear Suzanne,

How refreshing to find you and read your thoughtful comments; they resonate with me on many levels. I am just in the process of retiring and experiencing my last child leaving home. So while I have not experienced sky-diving, this moment in time for me is looking at the world from 30,000 feet up and about to make that leap! In my time at home, I challenge myself to move outside of my comfort zone, and have been lucky enough to reconnect with a few friends that I have fallen out of touch with. I too enjoy decorating and look forward to a major kitchen renovation by the end of the year. Would enjoy continuing to receive your posts and share our progress!

Melissa
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:08:11 PM
Comment by Suzanne

Melissa Margaret,
Thank you for visiting Stage of Life. I hope you will consider completing a profile and begin sharing some of your "newly retired" experiences. This is such an exciting time of life. Thank you for your kind comment and best wishes for a successful retirement.
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2012 4:46:26 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.