Schedules and Empty Nest

pammlofton
One thing that kept things running relatively smoothly while raising 4 daughters was scheduling. And by scheduling, I mean scheduling everything. EVERYTHING. It worked. We knew who had to be where and when they had to be there which was invaluable with four daughters all involved in different activities. Yes, we ran late sometimes even with a schedule. But it was a guide- a mother’s helper, if you will-and not written in stone. As parents all know, having children means learning how to go with the flow.

There were times that I got sick of schedules and scheduling. But I doubt I would have been able to function very well without them. Besides, we took a decent break from schedules during the summers because there were very few activities that required scheduling. I mean, who needs to schedule a day at the beach? We only live five minutes from the beach and we went every day. No schedule needed-wake up, get ready, go to the beach. Certainly, as our daughters got older and more involved, there were sports, science, music, etc. camps but these were almost always day camps and the scheduling was quite simple- go to the beach after camp.

Occasionally, I would dream of a day when schedules were no longer necessary to get through a day efficiently. But, truth be told, our family thrived on schedules.

Hubs and I have been living in our empty nest for three years now. As I look around, I have to wonder just what, exactly, it is that I have accomplished with all this ‘free’ empty nest time. I know that I’ve been busy but I don’t really see the results of that busy-ness. There is no organization to it. And then it hit me-I need a schedule.

Free time is nice if I want to watch a movie or have no desire to accomplish anything.

A schedule is confining to some. But it’s more liberating to me. I flounder around without a schedule and accomplish very little to nothing. I definitely need a schedule. It will keep me focused and less stressed. It will help me get everything done in a day that needs to be done. And, it will enable me to enjoy and appreciate free time instead of floundering around in it wondering what to do.

And, since I won’t be scheduling the dropping off and picking up of children or the hundreds of thousands of hours of volunteering at their school or their dentist/doctor appointments, I should be able to accomplish every single thing around here that needs attention and learn to appreciate my free time instead of floundering around in it.

A schedule might even make me feel even more comfortable with the empty nest. If I was comfortable within a schedule while raising the lovelies, then, logically, it should follow that I will be comfortable with one now. And the accomplishments will be astounding!

Of course, the second it interferes with a movie or blogging or Pinterest or knitting or writing or taking pictures or playing with the dog or working out or gardening or traveling-- it's definitely out of here!

I wanted to let you know that we featured your essay on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609 Feel free to share the news with your friends and family. You're famous! :)
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 7:00:11 PM
Comment by pammlofton

I just saw that! Thanks! I'm doing the happy dance of joy. Just be glad you can't see it. :)
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 7:21:14 PM

Nice! I have been begining to find that even with making lists and trying to schedule, the older I get the more I forget to look at the lists or schedule! One can only try! Great post and congrats!!
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 3:43:38 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.