Saying Thank You

Suzanne
In this world of electronic communications, it is rare, but welcome, to receive a beautifully crafted, hand written thank you note. I was fortunate enough to get one just a few weeks ago, in response to a batch of homemade cookies that I had brought to an elderly neighbor. Seeing my name and address penned across the envelope in a delicate handwriting set the tone that something special was inside. Carefully opening the note, I observed the weight of the paper and the colorful foil lining on the envelope flap, anxiously anticipating the content and the sender’s name. I read it through a couple of times, savoring its message word by word. It was elegantly written and much more gracious than my small kindness deserved, but it warmed my heart to have my little gift so thoughtfully acknowledged.
Thank you notes can be as meaningful as the one I received, or they can leave the recipient feeling as though their gift or act of kindness was only casually noticed. The difference lies within the composition of carefully selected words and the personalized touch of being hand written. “Thank you for the gift. It will come in handy at my new apartment,” is polite and acceptable, but far from warm and personal. A more thoughtful note will properly address the person you are sending it to by name, include a direct mention of the gift, express why you like it, how you will use it or how it affected you, and it will have a sincere closing statement.
A detailed note, especially when written by hand, will leave the recipient with a feeling that genuine gratitude and fondness have been expressed and will likely be treasured. Notes composed with the reader in mind often contain tidbits of personal information that will make them feel included in your life in some small way. It is this type of special acknowledgement that connects us to each other as human beings and fosters positive feelings among us. E-cards, e-mails and commercial greeting cards are great ways to keep in touch with people you care about, but nothing says thank you more sincerely than a hand written note delivered by snail-mail. I hope you will send one soon.

I have to say you are so right! Typically, when I give a gift I give it unconditionally, with no expectations in return, but the hope that it will work in some special way to or for the recipient. However, I do have to say that there is nothing more delightful than to receieve not just a simple 'thanks', but a sincere reaction to affrim that your thought of that individual was accepted warmly. Yes, yes, a 'thank you' note as you described is a wonderful thing! Great post!
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:26:47 AM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.