Keeping Christmas Out of Thanksgiving Day

shamaker
Call me old school, but I remember when Christmas decorations and holiday music didn't make an appearance until after Thanksgiving Day. Everyone seemed to think it was all right to enjoy one holiday at a time.

Nowadays, of course, Christmas starts right around Halloween--or even before, if you visited Costco in October. Stores take down Halloween decorations and immediately replace them with Christmas and holiday ones. Thanksgiving gets short shift, as there's no presents associated with the day, no treats to hand out to cute children, not a whole lot of whole house decorations to splurge on.

Now don't get me wrong--I'm no Scrooge when it comes to celebrating Christmas.

But I think we miss a real opportunity to instill a sense of thankfulness and giving when we blow past Thanksgiving and move right onto Christmas with its "you'd better get me what I deserve and want" mentality pushed by ad campaigns and retailers.

Thanksgiving should be embraced as a time to relax, focus on family and friends, and yes, to reflect on the year gone by and all we have to be thankful for. Maybe you don't have much in the way of material things to be thankful for, perhaps you've lost a job or are struggling with how you will buy any Christmas presents this year.

Taking the time to be thankful for what you do have might just be the antidote to the invasive greediness and envy that can invade our souls around the December holidays. Even if it's something small, like the sun shining bright on Thanksgiving Day morn, or the kaliescope of colors the falling leaves provide on the sidewalks and lawns.

This year, why not take five minutes to jot down the top ten, five or even two things you are thankful for this Thanksgiving. You don't have to share that list with anyone but yourself. Tuck that piece of paper into your wallet or purse and pull it out whenever you feel the stress of the holidays pressing down on you.

Thankfulness is the key to becoming content with the place you are at right now. This might not be the best Christmas ever in terms of gifts or decorations or food. But you can have the best holiday season because you have cultivated a thankful heart.

Apparently we both went to the same school! Just my opinion but faster paced lives fueled by the material mentality, and "the almighty dollar" are a few of the reasons going wrong with the seasons. I remember when I was young, Thanksgiving Day was as much 'to do' as Christmas, minus of course gifts. Thanksgiving day was it's own holiday where family gathered and enjoyed each other, relaxed and ate. Names would be drawn after dinner for the annual family present exchange on Christmas eve. That, was the extent of Christmas on Thanksgiving in our family. But now... We were in Anchorage back on the second week of September, and were already seeing telltale signs of Christmas and the subliminal encouragements of spending money, popping up in stores! I just read on Yahoo News about the "first person in line" for Black Friday....which apparently unofficially is now become the 'Black week before Black Friday'. It kind of makes me a little sick, really!

Anyways, that was a great suggestion you made. I don't think we as a society will ever be able to go back to the ways of the past, but being able to find ways to navigate through the hype, shopping frenzy and all the associated stress so many people allow into their lives this time of year is a much needed start to mental salvation. This guys mind is on Thursday and the significance it stands for in my life! There is plenty of time for the other after the day of indulgence has past! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:04:17 AM
Comment by AmyDoodle

I agree. I love Christmas, but when the children were little I came to realize that it was the day after Christmas I enjoyed the most. I would get down on the floor with the kids and play with their new Christmas toys and we would stay in our pajamas all day.

These days, Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday, and I try to hold it in my hands until time turns the calendar page. And then, just like you said, I try to keep the whole thing in a thankful heart. It cuts down on the craziness that's waiting in the days to come.
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:37:14 AM
Comment by deweywells

Thanks for all these reminders. I am so over the pre-thanksgiving onslaught of Christmas. Why can't we just enjoy one holiday at a time, especially the one meant to give us pause to ponder and be grateful? We end each day at our house with 3 questions, one of which is "what are you grateful for this day?" I'll add this reminder that it's one holiday at a time. And as soon as I can get all of Thanksgiving stored and processed, I'll happily move on to the Christmas-ing!
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:33:02 PM
Comment by websailor

I totally agree with you. Next we'll be worrying about keeping Christmas out of independence day. Growing up in the fifties and sixties, Thanksgiving was a time for family and food and taking a moment to be thankful. Now it feels like the prelude the Christmas; the warm up for the shopping frenzy. We've decided to de-emphasise the commercial side of Christmas in our family.

Have a great one, by the way.

Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:56:48 PM
Comment by Nadalee

This is a wonderful article...the points you made in it are so worth pointing out!!!!Yes, it IS true...lately, Christmas does indeed seem to be crowding Thanksgiving out....it's like Thanksgiving has now become the "gateway to the Christmas season"...and that's how people think of it...as opposed to a holiday in it's own right. It's all about commercialism....buy, buy, give,give, money, money...which is (sadly) what Christmas has become to so many...I can recall seeing Christmas stuff "staged" on the top shelf of a store in AUGUST!!!!
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2011 1:56:23 PM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
At last! Someone who unedsrtnads! Thanks for posting!
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 4:56:13 AM