The Can

MariaRose
It was a can of the good stuff.

After a few hours sorting through donations in my community’s food shelf and finding a dishearteningly high number of expired products, that can of Enfamil lifted me up. It’s always exciting when someone donates baby formula –it’s something our clients need and we never have enough of. But snuggled near the bottom of a pile of canned tuna, macaroni and cheese and jalapeño Ramen noodles, this can seemed to be buried treasure. It was for babies whom even in the first weeks of life seem to be falling behind, fortified to the teeth for those who have already developed sensitivities to milk or gluten, or who aren’t gaining weight the way they should. It’s a way to help level the playing field –and for babies who are often born in the least ideal of family circumstances, every extra little bit helps. Unfortunately, that extra little bit is also very expensive –almost $40 a can. Our clients simply cannot afford to spend that much on only a week or two’s worth of formula, and I knew this donation would be a serious blessing for somebody’s little boy or girl.

But then I turned it over.

That can of wonderful baby formula had expired almost two years earlier.

Usually my time at the food shelf leaves me feeling optimistic about the world, that there is a duality at play: there are those who are suffering and in desperate need of help, but there are also those willing to devote their hours, days and lives ensuring that they get it. But this time, I couldn’t shake that can and the profound sense of loss it seemed to represent. I’m not sure why; I’m not a mother and I won’t be for a while, if I choose to be one at all. But something about that baby formula haunted me the rest of the day.

Two hours later, as I prepared to head home, I took that can and did what I knew I had to. The uplifting scenario I had fantasized of a struggling mother temporarily relieved was gone for good, replaced only by the definite and deadening thud of the Enfamil as it hit the bottom of the trash can.

It may have been the saddest sound I’ve ever heard.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Exceptional writing. Engaging, emotionally evoking. Solid creative nonfiction example of essay writing. Perfect ending. Keep writing, you are talented!
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:12:32 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.