Midwife or Doctor?

Megan_R
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had already established a relationship with a certified nurse midwife and OBGYN. They both worked out of an office conveniently located in the hospital. I had wonderful care during my picture-perfect pregnancy. They were open and receptive to my desire for an all-natural labor and birth. I wanted to be intervention free, because I trusted my body to do what it was made to do.

However, as I continued to be pregnant after my "due date", the midwife started using words like "membrane stripping" and "induction". Since I had done my research and knew my patient's rights, I declined. I went into labor naturally at 40 weeks and 5 days.

I decided to head to the hospital when my contractions jumped from 7 minutes to 4 minutes at 7:00 am. I was a first-timer, and if I had known that I wouldn't have my baby until 9:00 pm, I would have stayed home for much, much longer! When I arrived at the hospital, they hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor, and the midwife and OBGYN started debating if they should break my water! My body was a step ahead, and decided to break its own water!

Fast forward to noon. I'm still in labor, and not progressing. I haven't seen the midwife in two hours, and I soon learn that she's not coming back. The OB wants to give me pitocin, and I refuse it. He scowls at me, and tells me that I can labor for two more hours, but if I don't progress and refuse pit again, I will be having a c-section by 5:00pm. Two hours go by, and my cervix refuses to open. I agree to the pitocin, and to the nubain they suggest to help me relax. At this point I'm crying because I'm feeling helpless, bullied, and that I'm not doing the right thing.

5:00pm comes and goes, and OBGYN has left the building.

I ended up with the on-call OBGYN delivering my daughter at 9:18 pm. She was perfect (and still is!)

Now, I live in a new town, and I'm more aware of my options. I wanted a midwife because of the personal care that you receive, except during my birth experience I didn't receive it! I've been doing a lot of thinking about it, and I would love to try a home birth. My husband is skeptical - he doesn't think it's safe, regardless of the information I pile in front of him. So, I've made an appointment with an office that has both midwives and doctors, and after my first appointment I'll decide if I should look for alternative care.

But, in my heart, I know I want a kind, attentive midwife, that values and honors the miracle of natural childbirth. I hope I find her!

I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant! You can follow my story here at Beyond Mountains.
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

Congratulations to you and your growing family!

We are fortunate to have so many safe options in this country and I wish you all the best on your delivery.

John Lennon wrote, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." He could have been singing about childbirth. I, too, had a plan for each of my deliveries and not one went according to plan. I had three healthy babies, however, and they continue to surprise and confound me. Ah, life!
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:13:43 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.