Baby Discipline

jasoncaleb
After taking a semester off from college, I started again this semester, and one of my classes is General Psychology. I sort of took the class thinking it would be interesting and it goes toward the general education I'm required to take. But today, I am amazed by all the things I get to learn from it. Really practical things.

I like the fact that I'm required to take a class like this, so I'm paying a lot of money for one class, but I'm getting solid information about how human beings work and something I learned today that I want to share with all of you first time parents is this: your baby can understand you even if they don't know how to speak words yet.

I guess it's something we don't always consider. I mean, you imagine how a baby learns to talk, that they pick up on it as they develop, but I think we sometimes keep from talking to a baby because we think since they don't talk yet, it's like we're talking to a dog or something.

In my psychology class we learned this concept because we were learning about punishment. And so one of the guidelines for effective punishment is to "provide verbal explanation." So basically, if you're going to yell "No!" when your baby is getting into something they shouldn't be getting into, to make that more effective you need to talk to them, explain "baby, we don't play with wires and cables because you could pull appliances down and they could hurt you, or you could mess things up." See, when our daughter is getting into things, we usually say no and we pick her up and move her away without further explanation. Well, now that I've learned that she can pick up on things and understand some of what I'm explaining to her, I'm going to try to be more persistent in having a dialogue with her more than just saying "No!"

I guess I already do this to an extent. I love talking to my daughter and joking around with her and making her laugh, and so I'm usually talking to her anyways. But my issue with teaching her not to do certain things, like pulling down the blinds, I haven't discovered an effective way to stop her from that. We say "no" and she laughs at us and goes right back to doing it, and if she's in her crib reaching over for the blinds by the window next to her crib, we'll even move her crib over to where she can't reach it. So I haven't tried "explaining" to her that we don't pull on the blinds like that because you ould break them. So I'm going to try it.

How about you all? What "disciplining" techniques have you tried or found effective when it comes to babies who haven't learned to talk yet?

I wanted to let you know that we featured your essay on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609 Feel free to share the news with your friends and family. You're famous! :)
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:53:54 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.