They Grow Up Too Fast

jasoncaleb
There are common phrases that get tossed around when you are near a baby. It's typical for people to stop and gawk all gooey eyed and say things like "you're baby is so adorable, so well mannered." They can't help themselves. Especially if they're older people. But then I also see plenty of young people, kids, teenagers, or young couples who can't resist staring at a baby. And there is a fascination we human beings have when it comes to age. We're always curious how old a person is, and we become even more curious when it comes to babies. Because those of us who aren't familiar with raising a baby, those of us who aren't used to distinguishing a baby's age just by looking at them, we have to ask people how old their baby is. My wife and I must get asked that question every time we go out somewhere. I think it helps me to keep up with how old my own daughter is because people constantly ask. It's just funny to me that people ask that with babies, but you never see some guy out at Sam's Club with his teenage daughter and people stopping him and asking him how old his daughter is. That would just be weird and scary depending on who asks.

But to get to my point in writing today. I have to say that the most common phrase I hear from people in reference to having babies, is the phrase, " they grow up so fast don't they?" Almost every person that stops us in public makes that phrase at some point in the conversations. It can't be helped. No one can resist themselves from using that phrase. And today it finally hit me. people say that because it's one of the truest things about babies. It's true that babies are adorable, that they're so little, so fragile, yet so amusing that I think there's a part of us that, even though we don't always prefer changing the poop diapers, or dealing with the throw up, or dealing with the drooly mouths and the crying of a teething baby, we just can't help ourselves from enjoying the beauty, the sensation of a young baby discovering the beginning stages of a brand new life where everything is fun and amusing. We say this phrase, "they grow up so fast" because it's inevitable that it's going to happen. We almost have to stop and look at them sometimes to notice how much they've changed in just a year of being alive. It's really amazing because we look at them and forget that it wasn't an instant transition for them to crawl or to take their first attempts at walking. We get used to their first laugh and then it turns into baby babble that we never get tired of because it's so adorable, but then soon the babbling will take shape into words and it will feel as though they have always been talking. And it's because life goes by so fast, or so it seems to us who are so busy in raising a child in this busy world.

So remember that phrase, no matter how often you hear it. Cherish the baby that is in your life, slow down and enjoy the moments you get to play with them and to experience their innocence, their joy of discovery at this early point in their lives. My daughter is 10 months old, soon she'll be a year old, and so I'm trying to urge myself into taking advantage of the time that I have to spend with her, because when she gets older I don't want to forget what it was like to experience life with her at this age. She's so dear to me. I think even when she becomes a teenager, I'll be thinking the phrase, "they grow up too fast" because I think it's just going to be that way for the rest of my life.

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.