What Every Woman Should Know about Their Man During Pregnancy

jasoncaleb
So my wife is about eight months along in pregnancy, she is due in the middle of February. We're excited, and the baby is excited also appearantly because she's constantly kicking her mother, like she's saying " I want out, I want out!" This past weekend we got the crib put together and the changing table, and so we're basically done getting the baby room together, just some odds and ends now. So I wanted to share some insights perhaps, on what you should know about your male partner during your pregnancy. And I can't say for certain that all men are like me, but I'd like to think that I can relate somewhat to each man.

1. Depending on how you two got pregnant(and I say the two of you, because it took two people to get you pregnant, so don't forget that even though you're going to be carrying all that weight around, he's going to have to support you and help you out along the way; you guys are a team)but anways, depending on the circumstances of you getting pregnant, your man is either going to be a) really, really excited, and he'll show it that he's excited. b) half shocked, and half excited-- this is sort of how I reacted, my wife and I weren't exactly planning on getting pregnant at the time we did, we were sort of hoping it would be later on down the road, so I was a bit shocked, because I half expected that when she tested for it that it would say negative, but half of me knew there was a chance it would be positive. So I was excited and surprised at the same time. c)shocked and then still shocked. And this one is especially for those guys who weren't planning on it at all and you spring it on them, and either a)they'll get over their initial shock and they'll be happy and start going on this wonderful journey with you or b)it could take them a little while to show support and excitement, but hopefully as long as he shows you some support before the baby comes, that's the important thing.
2. This is a big one for me and I want you to pay attention to this one. From the time you find out you're pregnant, to the time you actually push out the baby, you are going to want to go to every baby store, or every baby section of every store you go to. The thing you need to be aware of is that your man, well, he's a man, and us men don't like spending four or five hours shopping, or looking at a bunch of stuff we're not going to buy. My wife, for every weekend of these last few months, we have gone to the same stores every weekend, we looked at the same baby items every weekend, we looked at all the clothes on clearnace, every weekend, and I hated it. I can do about ten or fifteen minutes of looking at stuff with her and that's about it. And your man is the same way, men don't look at stuff for longer than that, unless it's a big screen TV or a car. We run through the options in about a minute or so, we decide on what's going to be the easiest to put together and what we like, and we buy it, and we get out of the store. So I'm just warning you, don't take it personal when you go to every store hoping that he's going to have fun and enjoy the experience of looking at everything with you for several hours. Some men might pretend to enjoy for the sake of their woman, but deep down they'd rather be somewhere else. it's not that we don't like shopping for a new baby, it's just we hate the amount of time that women generally take looking at everything.

3. This is the last one I'm going to put down for now. When and if your man goes with you for your first ultrasound, I don't care how you feel that he reacts, whether or not he sheds a tear, or if he doesn't seem thrilled about seeing that little baby growing inside of you; he is, he is most absolutley thrilled. I know I was. I thought it was amazing to see the little heart beating on the screen, and while everything else was still so tiny on the baby, you could just see that little heart beating away, and it was indescribable. Now, I'm not saying your man will want to take the pictures and get all the scrapbooks, and get the picture frames to put the ultrasound photo in; that's really a woman's thing, if you ask me, and I respect it, it's sentimental, but just remember that just because we don't share in your activities of scrapbooking each week, and putting together ultrasound photos and how many times the baby kicked that day, your man, most likely, deep down, is thrilled to death. It's his baby just as much as it's yours. And if we could carry babies in our stomachs, who knows, we'd probably feel the strong bonds of mother hood as you do, and maybe we would be the ones making scrapbooks and keeping diaries about how the baby kicked today, and every emotion we felt that week. Your man, is excited, and he's just not going to show it the way you do. But hey, if you get a crib and all these fancy stuff that he's got to put together, he may be like me, I love putting stuff together. It's very much a manly thing to put things together with tools and what not, and we love to see the finished work of our own hands. So go ahead and put your man to work!
Comment by Me-shell

I really like your perspective on this. I don't have any kids yet and I don't plan on it for another 5-6 years but I really do like this. While reading it I could relate it to my boyfriend and understand why he doesn't get as excited as me when we talk about having kids some day or even holding a little baby like I do.
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:42:38 AM
Comment by jasoncaleb

Yeah, it's totally a different kind of excitement for the guy I really do believe, but what I hope women will always remember is that the guy in their life may be very excited about things when it comes to having a baby; we just show it in a different way or to be quite honest, we may not show it very much at all. I'm not saying it's okay if guys don't show their excitement, I know my wife probably loves it when I show excitement, but we just don't get excited about every little thing you guys do. But anyways, just some thoughts, thanks for reading and glad it gave you some perspective.
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 1:58:52 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.