Coyotes, Bush Hogs and Fertilizer – Oh My!

NancyMyMoves
I’ve mentioned before that I live in the country on some acreage. We moved out here eight years ago, so I like to think that I’ve adapted to life away from the city. I’m used to flora and fauna using my land as a large condo complex. But I have to draw the line with Mr. Coyote.

Coyote Rules

I do have some rules for the squatters, especially the predator variety.

• You may hunt as long as you stay at least 50 yards from my house and I don’t witness your mealtimes. I’d prefer you do it at night.
• You may fly overhead, but not with a mouse in your beak or talons.

You get the idea: I’m trying for peaceful co-existence. Recently, however, Mr. Coyote was in my backyard at 9:00 a.m. Of course, country chick that I am, I went out on my deck in my p.js and yelled for him to scram. He did lope off a bit, but turned and just stared at me and that’s bold for an animal that is usually very shy. He’s been issued a warning citation.

Bush Hogs

Not to confuse you, but a bush hog is not an animal, it’s a piece of equipment used to remove brush and clear land. I like big machinery and would own one of these if I could justify it. I have just over an acre that I don’t mow and it’s starting to look like the perfect spot for someone to dump a rusty Pinto. So when my neighbor had a guy dig holes for his new pines with a Ditch-a-ma-bob (I want one of those, too!), I asked him if he had a bush hog and what he’d charge to clear my scrub area. So when you’re at the lawn and garden store deciding what kind of impatiens to plant this year, I’m out here negotiating to have my land cleared. You have it easy.

What’s that Lovely Scent?

April and May are the start of plowing/planting season out here. Part of that process is fertilizing. When we first moved here and smelled that wafting on the wind, we thought we’d unknowingly moved next to a giant pig farm. It turns out that chemical fertilizers smell even worse than pig “by-products.” By now, I’ve learned to close the windows during this time and am used to it. It’s part of the trade-off for enjoying the quiet and amazing views.

Score - Weeds: 10, Me: ½

All this plowing and activity around me inspired a trip to the shed for tools to start on some gardening and yard work. I was at it about an hour before becoming totally defeated. The weeds have more stamina than I and I’m woman enough to admit it. This is when I start to fantasize about relocating to a cute little Cape Cod in town with manageable window boxes. No large equipment required.

Living in the suburbs, I'll have to pass on your brush, seasonal fresh air, and other outdoor joys. But I can relate to your country coyote. On two mid-morning occasions, we had a fox on our 2nd story rear deck.
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:17:10 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources