Is That a Springiness in Your Step?

NancyMyMoves
So what’s more important in your life this March, the Final Four or bragging about your freakish 82 degree weather? March has always been one of my least favorite months, right after February and January. Do you see a pattern there? Winter and the cold, wet, gray month of March is just not my thing. This time of year is when I normally question why I choose to voluntarily stay in this climate instead of moving to Sedona, AZ. But this March brought a nice surprise.

Surprise!

As I expand on that topic, keep in mind there are two main topics we Ohioans like to discuss – OSU Buckeyes football and the weather. When discussing the weather, you will never hear an Ohio resident say, “It’s pleasantly mild today.” Every weather-related comment is to describe extremes – Mohave Desert heat or Antarctica-level frigid temps. We actually have a very livable climate, but we’ll never admit to that. Occasionally, you will hear us speak in total wonder about an out-of-season winter warm spell or a cooler summer day. As you can imagine, we almost had a collective stroke recently when the middle of March produced a string of sunny days in the 80s. Not a cloud or soul-killing soggy days in sight.

If there was a downside to the beautiful weather, it’s that people more pale than a fish’s underbelly broke out the shorts and flip-flops. At least I have the decency to throw on some self-tanner before unleashing my translucent limbs on the world. Deck furniture came out, the birds were singing, the mowers were cranked up to keep pace with the crazy grass growth spurt and I may have made a margarita or two.

Spread the Word

What did we do next? Well, we felt the need to spread the word to our brethren who were still in the midst of the winter and early spring “we-are-SO-done-with-this!” weather. Since this warm burst of weather was not limited to Ohio, I’m sure a wide swath of the Midwest endeared themselves by sharing the news to the rest of the nation. The polite thing would have been to just be quiet and enjoy. But that’s not our style.

Well, those cold souls did retaliate by basically telling us to quit gloating. My relocated Ohio friend who is now in Washington State admonished us all on Facebook. Facing probable sleet and 3-5 inches of snow, she was not amused by our weather banter. She wittily signed her post with, “Your friend,
Who-me-I'm-not-bitter-shivering-in-the-Pacific-Northwest.” I contritely called her and made a point of avoiding the “W” word. But even so, she could probably hear my lime wedge plop into my margarita.

Retribution

Because I’m a “glass-is-half-empty” kind of person, I’m betting we’ll have a snowstorm on April 6th since we tempted the weather gods and acted all uppity. This is not an unusual occurrence in Ohio. Just when you think you’re in the clear and onto spring fun, it hits. But maybe this year we got a break. Now where did I put that self-tanner?
Comment by Suzanne

Anything below 60 in Florida is a "Cold Front," so I can relate in the reverse. People get so excited for cooler weather they light the fire place and then have to open the windows to get relief.

Love your posts. Funny lady.

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources