Condo Fever

NancyMyMoves
Lately I’ve had this urge to go look at condo models. You know, the ones that are impeccably decorated and dust bunny-free? Maybe it’s because my friends just bought a gorgeous Chicago condo on Lake Michigan and will move in soon. But it might be that the maintenance of a home that’s too big for me (and an eight pound cat) on a rural property with acreage can feel overwhelming. Or could it could be that I had to go out to my shed yesterday in 40 mph winds and put an additive in the gas tank of my mower? That would not happen if I moved to a cool condo; some nice person would mow my two square feet of grass.

Realistically, I’d have a tough time downsizing to a condo from my home in the country. I do like my space. My mother recently said, “Oh, you don’t NEED this much room – it’s too much to take care of!” She has a point. Evidently I didn’t inherit the gene that enables her to live happily in a 10 X 10 ft. room within a ridiculously small house. I know my mother has English/German ancestry, but I’d swear she’s descended from a nomadic tribe and could live happily in a tiny tent. I don’t think I could do that – I’d miss all my hair products. Although, as I go ripping through my 700 gallons of “winter fill” propane heating my house (and it’s only January), I do think moving to a cute condo might be smart.

Pros and Cons

In the pro column, there are quite a few good reasons to go smaller:

• I’d be forced to get rid of stuff that just takes up space (and is only allowed to stay because I have “too much” room).
• No three hours of mowing.
• No extra rooms to heat/cool.
• Maintenance is someone else’s problem/responsibility.
• It would be beautifully decorated and decked out like on the home and garden channel. (Okay, that’s my fantasy, not reality.)

As for the cons:

• Shared walls. Honestly, I don’t know that I could go there again – I’m flashing back to hearing those sounds from “Weird Guy” next door.
• Very little outdoor space.
• Scaled down interior space, at least what I would be able to afford.
• HOA (Home Owners’ Association) fees and rules. What if I want pink flamingos on my patio?

The Scarlett O’Hara Approach

Fortunately, I don’t have to make any decisions about moving or downsizing right now. A couple recent life events have resulted in my desire to stay put and avoid big changes (and surprises) for the immediate future. At least it’s winter and I can avoid outside maintenance for a few months. So when I start thinking the condo life is for me, I’ll just have to tune out my mother and stop watching the home and garden channel. As for my future living arrangements? I’ll think about that tomorrow…

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources